patapsco 10/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patapsco 10/12

Had a few minutes this afternoon and have been itching to get out so headed down to the patapsco between stoney and rock creek plan was to drop a couple of crab traps and do a little fishing. I new the wind was up and was forcast for 15 to 30 knots and a small craft advisory but i headed in anyway I immediatly hooked up with a small rockfish and by the time i landed it I drifted a 1/4 mile. fish was 14 inches . paddles back to launch and went to plan b inside of stoney creek and hopefully out of the wind a bit. the creek wasnt much better I ran the traps a few times and fished around the docks for perch but nothing was biting what I was giving but at least i got the boat wet better than sitting on the couch.
    Attached Files
    D Hawk
    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
    but at least i got the boat wet better than sitting on the couch.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4760[/ATTACH]
    Amen to that. I just moved up to Easton PA and have not fished in two weeks, its killing me.
    Cliff Williams
    Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I'm going to try to fish the Patapsco at HH sometime this week. During other falls, October has been kind to me on the Patapsco. Gotta pick your days a little more carefully though.

Cliff - Tell me it's not true!!! You moved in the wrong direction!!! Are you close enough to make it to the Flats this spring??? Looks like a long drive, maybe more than 2 hours one-way?
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Yeah wish I had better choices on what days I get to fish but sometimes ya take what you can get have thought about fishing in the am before work I pass HH every morning on my way in but I need to get some cold weather gear first yesterday was about as cold as I wanna do it in shorts.
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

dhawk - I hear ya. I'm retired so every day is a weekend, I have lots of potential days to pick from. But still, as we get into fall and winter I insist air temps be 40Fs, sunny and winds ~8mph or less, or I stay at home. Cold water just increases the risk factor enough that I pick my days very carefully.

This past spring when the C&R striper season on the Flats was beyond HOT I had to let a few marginal days slip by without leaving home knowing full well the stripers were numerous and hitting everything in sight.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Cliff,

Don't totally despair, you are a long way from the salt but fishing on the Delaware can be pretty good. There is a wonderful shad run in the spring (around mid April) that is often followed by a striper run. I heard news of folks catching stripers as far north as Delaware Water Gap last year. While not too large there are plenty of small mouth bass in the Delaware and its tributaries. I understand the Lehigh is also pretty good.

I used to live near Philly and would venture north towards the Delaware every spring. At other times of the year I could find equivalent fish a little closer to home.

Best of luck with the "sweetwater fishing"
            Tall Timbers Kayer

Comment

Thanks for the moral boost everyone! It is tragic to be so far away from the salt but I will have to make due. My budget for gas is going to have to double during the Spring Howard. I expect to be at the flats even more this year, so I may be sleeping in the car a couple nights a week at tydings park. There is nothing like the flats during the Spring and with a season under my belt I plan to tear it up next year. Hopefuly this year I get a citation or two since I now have the right equipment.
              Cliff Williams
              Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
                Thanks for the moral boost everyone! It is tragic to be so far away from the salt but I will have to make due. My budget for gas is going to have to double during the Spring Howard. I expect to be at the flats even more this year, so I may be sleeping in the car a couple nights a week at tydings park. There is nothing like the flats during the Spring and with a season under my belt I plan to tear it up next year. Hopefuly this year I get a citation or two since I now have the right equipment.
                Ah man I didn't know you moved. I was thinking of giving you a call to fish the flats lately. I've been up every weekend in October. You know the spots, just different stuff. Plenty of fish but it takes some time to land a keeper. This is the first year I'm fishing up there in the fall so I'm learning how the season goes up there.

I used to live up that way in Allentown. You'll have to switch to trout fishing the rivers because the bay doesn't go up that far....sorry to break it to ya.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  You'll have to switch to trout fishing the rivers because the bay doesn't go up that far....sorry to break it to ya.
                  I know! It's time to break out the 6wt fly rod and hit the stream. The state record rainbow was caught near me and it was over 15lbs!!! Now that could ease my withdraws from saltwater... I also plan to get in a lot of skiing this winter.
                  Cliff Williams
                  Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                  X