What do the fish do in Oct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the fish do in Oct?

Hate to let the cat out of the bag,, but I know squatt about local fishing in the fall.
    My brothers coming in mid October (from NM) and wanna take him out.

Stripers - I have heard October called "Rocktober",, what do the stripers do?? Open bay? up the rivers? how to fish them in the fall?

Sea Trout - will they be around? whats a good stratagy for them (besides following Kevin lol)

Mattawoman Bass and Snakeheads - will they be hitting mid late October?

Puppy drum and croakers?

As you can see, I am blind on this fall fishing

Thanks,
    Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Lots of Rockfish options all around...even out of Chesapeake Beach. We caught plenty last year in South river for the M&G. The severn oput of Jonas Green, the Patuxent, St. Jeromes, PLO, and ST. Clement's Island all produced keeper fish for forum members in October last year.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Hey Kev,
      So do the big rocks come up into the rivers in the Fall?
      Fish structure ? or wide open water?

I'll let you know what day were going out as it gets closer.
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Ronault or any other guys on here are much better resources than I but those areas I listed had fish at the river mouths. St Clements ISland has fish around every shore so you can fish which ever side is sheltered and if you look at the chart there is a channel and shoal to fish. Structure or current are fished in the other locals
        Last edited by kevinfry; 10-02-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

September and October are traditionally my best periods for stripers on topwater and trolling for bluefish. For topwater spots, I look for structure with current and (ideally) bait, but 2 out of 3 sometimes will work. Structure could be pilings, docks, a drop off, a point, an inlet, a rock pile, a jetty, etc. Spend some time looking on Google Earth in the area you fish. You'll probably be surprised at what is available. Sometimes you can even see the effects of current in the aerial photos.

Some stripers are caught farther up the rivers this time of year. Broomes Island and Sheridan Point in the Patuxent are two traditional areas where people fishing from boats will troll small bucktails in shallow water. I haven't fished those areas, though, and can't offer any first hand advice. St. Jerome's, Piney Point, and PLO have been good to me in October in years past.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks,, Wanted to stay out of "big water" in the colder months. is fishing for stripers and sea trout close (area and lures)?

Thanks,
            Slack
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Is the thomas Johnson bridge pilings worth jiging for Stripers? or trout?

Thanks,
              Slack
              1 - Mad River Canoes
              1- Tarpon 120
              1- Redfish 10
              1- Coosa HD
              2- Cuda 12
              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Piney Point, St. Jerome's, and PLO all offer protection from the wind from from certain directions. I usually pick my fishing spot based on the wind direction and tide. I haven't had as much luck at St. Jerome's around low tide compared to when the tide is higher, and the spots I fish at Piney Point are much better near high tide. Stripers can be caught within a relatively short distance at all three places. People also catch stripers around Benedict in the Patuxent River, but I don't fish there often.

I've jigged the Thomas Johnson bridge several times and never had much luck. I seldom see people fishing around it. However, it coughs up nice fish every now and then. I don't think I've fished it in October. I've been avoiding the Patuxent lately because of all the jerky boaters.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                  Hate to let the cat out of the bag,, but I know squatt about local fishing in the fall.
                  My brothers coming in mid October (from NM) and wanna take him out.

Stripers - I have heard October called "Rocktober",, what do the stripers do?? Open bay? up the rivers? how to fish them in the fall? Yes they will be all over catch em up

Sea Trout - will they be around? whats a good stratagy for them (besides following Kevin lol) Southern bay MD and Virginia waters in the shallows using jigs.

Mattawoman Bass and Snakeheads - will they be hitting mid late October? Bass yes Snakeheads no. 60 degrees or less snakeheads shutdown.

Puppy drum and croakers? Drum same place as the trout. Croakers are in the ocean.

As you can see, I am blind on this fall fishing

Thanks,
                  Slack
                  Goodluck.

Meadeo
                  2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

October is probably the best month for fishing in the bay. I know some of the trophy rock folks may differ, but for all around fishing, October is the best.

Comment

Slack,
                      If you are interested in heading south, here is what I do.
                      #1 go where other MKF guys are headed if you can tell from forum or IM
                      #2 forecast for light wind + St Clements Island (launch at Museum) or PLO, fishing obvious structures or trolling where there is current
                      #3 stronger winds from nnw, n, nne, east. Piney Point. Solomons
                      #4 winds from NW, W, any southerly...Clark's landing, St Jerome's
                      #5 winds so hard any sane person would stay home and watch football....St Jerome's Creek (always some small piece of water to fish...but you'll pay for it)

Comment

Thanks Kev,
                        I'll be right behind you and Ictal.

Slack
                        1 - Mad River Canoes
                        1- Tarpon 120
                        1- Redfish 10
                        1- Coosa HD
                        2- Cuda 12
                        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

this month when the water temp drops to the low 70s to upper 60s most spieces head out out the bay but rock school up and blitz the bait schools. if you can get into a blitzing school dont get on top of them just get close and cast bucktails with BKDs into the blitz. watch for bird activity. its not that easy to get to a blitz with a kayak but when you do its a lot of fun. im still looking for some sea run stripers

Comment

Working...
                          X