Boston - Labor Day 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston - Labor Day 2012

I'm heading up to visit my friend who lives in Boston to kayak fish. I'll be there Thursday-Tuesday and plan on fishing everyday. Anyone know of good places to hit this time of year? I'll report back, but I'm hoping to run into some of those big 40"+ rock!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Teaser....

They have big fish up there...

Comment

Tee hee!

Nice!

Comment

Dang! Hope You got some payback and landed a few! Can't wait for the rest of the pics!

Comment

It was a great trip!!! Fished 6 days in a row which I think is a new record for me. One night we were on so many fish we stayed out from sunset to sunrise and quit because we were tired from catching fish. We literally left a blitz because we were too tired to take them off anymore. It was nuts!

I finished the weekend with a total somewhere in the upper 30's of rockfish, 5 bluefish, some porgies, a cunner, some black seabass, and probably a few other things I am forgetting. My friend landed a 40" fish on an eel and we both had a lot of firsts out there. Big plastic is addicting, but the largest lure fish (37") came on a 4" sassy shad. Peanuts had just come in and the fish were blowing them up everywhere we went. Our most successful tactic numbers-wise was to troll or cast shallow diving plugs, next for me was topwater (lots of fish on spooks, even at night and a 30" bluefish), and then the plastics. I had a few jigheads get bent, some completely straightened and some break offs from fish we simply could not stop. I was using two largemouth bass rods and a 2 piece boat rod. Most off the big fish came on the lightest rod, which was a blast!

I'll definitely be going back at some point! The NEKF forum guys showed us a lot of hospitality as well as an SOL'r that would like to remain nameless. These guys met us at the ramp, said follow me, cast here, and in both places we were on fish with in the first couple of casts! Can't beat that! I hope to return the favor sometime if they ever make it down our way.

Here's some shots:

Comment

I kept this fish because it absolutely inhaled my 9" sluggo. It came to the boat bleeding bad so we decided to take it home with us since it was about 33" and was going to die. Lucky for us the guy coming to meet us to fish that night brought a fillet knife and I was able to cut it up by moonlight and put it in a borrowed cooler. It did not go to waste and was awesome on the grill for lunch the next day!

I have to say of all the ways I caught fish, casting big plastic and working it across the surface was definitely my favorite way. The fish exploded on the bait like no other! I got more on the spook, but texas rigged hogy's or sluggos in white, black, or blueback/siverbelly was definitely addicting!

Comment

Very nice! I have an uncle in Maine who keeps telling me to come up and go fishing... Looks like I aught to take him up on it! Btw, the bright new ws ride? You were fishing out of the reason your trident is for sale?

Comment

Nice work, Michael. That sounds like a helluva trip. I can't imagine leaving breakers like that, but I also can't imagine being tired from catching nice fish. I wish that kind of think happened in the Bay more often.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Awesome! I've been to Boston several times for work and always thought it looked very fishy. Guess I need to bring a fishing rod next time...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Great report. We all dream about catching big fish until we are too tired to wind them in any longer. Way to go.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Great report. We all dream about catching big fish until we are too tired to wind them in any longer. Way to go.
                      Agreed. I had a great time just reading the report. To be there fishing must have been awesome. Thanks for the tale!

Comment

Working...
                      X