Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Park Patapsco River

There's too many launches near me!
    my choices for the day- Jonas Green, Fort Armistead or Southwest Park any one of half dozen ponds in Patapsco valley, Rocky Gorge, Susquehanna, Patuxent water trail to list a few
    . Since I've never launched at Southwest Park I decided to give it a go . Dual surfaced concrete ramps w piers A good sized parking area, Minimal facilities. (port a pot and a trash can or 2) limited Hours - best be out by posted Time or you will be locked in so I've heard and best of all it's Free.
    Given all that , next time I'll cart it to the water at Bell Grove near the VFW from her on since it's a mile closer to home and many paddle strokes closer to where I intended to fish. The launch may be a little more strenuous but for me it's all therapy
    The river was a bit stained from the downpour we got last night but the ponds at Belle Grove were fairly clear surprisingly.
    Winds and tides dictated a paddle upriver to take advantage of them on the way back. I paddled up to the B& A Rd Bridge before I made my 10th cast. in the feeder creek there I found white perch, yellow perch, bluegill and crappie all small and occupying a space no wider or longer than my 12' kayak. they kept me entertained for a good hour and a half. my last trip here on the 4th of July yeilded a couple of 14"bass off thee bridge pilings. They moved on 'cause the weren't home today or they recognized the Rapala I was tossing.
    I drifted most of the way back fumbling with errant casts up on shore, into reeds and trees ( Fish sticks for dinner, dear?)
    One frustrating tangle cost me the handle off my Phleuger spinning reel- favorite rod (st croix ) went into the holder for the balance of the trip. Line twist on my back-up rod caused me to strip a few yards and drag line for a few hundred yards to settle things down a bitmy nerves included. Fortunately my baitcater performed like a champ. I'd love to see what I missed on three of the strikes I had. one was a thunk with a good sizes boil with a spinnerbait. A crankbait got a hit and a quick headshake to set it free. The third a a clean bite off just below the ponds. in an area where I've had some savage strikes in the past. Someday I'll get a hook-up there.
    No fish pictures. Today I kept tackle and accessories to a minimum. 3 rods,, the depthfinder, a dozen lures and a cooler w/3 bottles of water was all I felt like dealing with.
    BTW - the ergonomic paddle I a pleasure to pull worth the extra expense. the extra bend in the shaft feels like it gives a bit more reach, the blade recovery at the end of the stroke is noticeably different from a standard paddle.
    All in all, A relaxing workout on a gorgeous day

Other than problems with the reels, sounds like a nice day.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Nice Report! I wouldnt rule out big Striper in there and I've even heard of pickerel...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice report, zimm, but I'm sorry to hear about your reel handle. I've never fished that area, but I've seen a lot of interesting reports. It seems like there are a lot of species to catch there.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I never launched there, but I did fish from the pier last spring for about an hour. I did not catch anything from the pier. There were two young guys who told me they lived nearby and fished the area frequently. They indicated that they caught lots of things there.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice report! You did better than I did the last couple trips to that area considering I left smelling like a skunk :/ Maybe its time to give it another try

Chimo

Comment

Definitely pickerel in there....took a trip out there a few months back. Launched out of a parking lot on furnace avenue, and took out at southwest park. Caught nothing until we got to the big pond on the right (the one with really clear water and rip rap shoreline on the far end with houses). There, my buddy Dave caught one bass about 12-14 inches, and then we got completely bit clean off 2 times each. Didn't see the fish until the 4th hookup, and when we did, it was a big pickerel, with 3 other hooks and plastic worms still in its mouth! Guess he was hungry. Probably over the 20 inch range. The river seems muddy and shallow through that whole section and probably a waste of time to fish. Nice paddle though.

Comment

Working...
              X