Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried Jones Point Park @ the Woodrow Wilson Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried Jones Point Park @ the Woodrow Wilson Bridge?

Jones Point Park recently re-opened at the WWB (VA side) and has a spot to launch. Woundering if anyone out there has had any sucess fishing there or around the pilings at the WWB? rxh

I'm curious about this too. I live in Alexandria and had been looking forward to the promised floating dock that was said to be for kayaks and canoes. However, when I went down there to check it out the floating dock was about 18 inches above the surface of the water. I was expecting something a lot lower. I haven't tried launching there yet but I fear it's a little high for my taste.

Comment

18" above water level should be pretty do-able. A lot of us launch at the bay bridge marina to fish the bay bridge and I think the dock there is probably more then 18" off the water. It probably looks a lot tougher than it really is. I've never fish the area, but the only way to find out is to give it a try. I'm sure you'll be able to find something to pull on your line.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm heading down this pm for a closer look. I park near by and bike to Crystal City to work. Will take some pictures to post.

Comment

I'm interested to see how it looks. I just moved to Alexandria and this would be close for me. I'll definitely have to check it out.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

So I went down to check it out yesterday and the floating dock is definately about 18 in above the surface. As I am new at this and have no fear; i don't see it as a problem. However you experts let me know before i make an ass out of myself. Also spoke to a couple of the guys fishing on the mini-pier a about 50 feet away and was told they have been catching some pretty decent sized channel cats there using boneless chicken breasts??! They had not tried fishing for rocks or anything else. anyhow, cheers....
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the information! 18" shouldn't be an issue. I'll have to check it out when I get some time away from work and moving!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

What about the monster, giant, blurry, thumb? That thing is scary.

Comment

I fished the Wilson bridge about 4 weeks ago, launching from a small park just north of the bridge. You can find it on google maps fairly easily and park on the road adjacent. Fishing at max current at dusk and into the night yielded the best results with several big striper, plenty of big catfish and several large LMB as well...not to mention perch as well. Large jigs with decent weight work well fished past the pilings.

Comment

Just an update was down at the park fishing from the "kayak launch" (skunked) and a national park ranger happened by. He indicated the design was defective and the State was working with the contractors for a fix; however expect nothing anythime soon

Comment

Ya.. I fish that section with my kayak all the time and catch lots of 10 lb. Blue cats... They are all next to the 2nd and 3rd piling where the water is around 30 ft. Deep. I usually cut up some baitfish or use nightcrawlers.

Comment

Do you need a DC fishing license for this area?

Comment

Ya you do.. if it is north of the WWB you do.. I think it is 10-15 dollars

Comment

Working...
                          X