Best Type Of Line For A Baitcasting Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Type Of Line For A Baitcasting Reel

I'm just starting to use a Baitcasting Reel. What is the consensus about the best type of line to use with emphasis on cutting back on the number of birds nests? I really like using braided line and have switched all of my spin casters that way. Will it work on a Baitcaster? Thanks All.

yes braid will work on all types of reels, Using a backer such as mono or electric tape is crucial just like on a spinning reel. I use braid on my bait casters, but also like mono as well for certain things.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Rus, I agree with Zach. I have been using braid on all my bait casters for the last two years. Mono backer does the trick for me as well. I am casting a 1/4 oz jig around 20 yds with no birds' nest. Just set the reel brake and thumb the spool. One note of warning, I learned the hard way about over powering my rod with braid, cost me a new Star rod.
      Gary

Comment

T've used baitcasters for decades and learned one thing well
        the type line has little to No effect on the number or severity of bird's nesting you're gonna get.
        Practice practice practice
        start with a cheap line and find a football field to practice on.
        vary the weights you're throwing
        use old plugs with the hooks removed to gain insight into wind resistance
        cast with the wind to start and when your thumb aquires an education try casting into the wind.
        Start off just trying to lob the bait sidearm or underhand save the frustration of overhead casting for when your thumb instinctively knows when to buckle down
        cast with your wrist not your body ( something that every Kayaker should practice)
        after you've gotten comfortable try casting into the wind
        cast from a lawn chair moving down to a beach chair end up seated on the ground and casting
        targets help - a square of cardboard to start working down in size to a coffee cup,

Comment

All baitcasters (low-profile, conventional reels) are not created equal- cheap baitcasters are abominations and bird's nest creators...Revos, Curados, Ambassadeurs are reels I use and are a lot easier to cast without a backlash- still will get a minor one when I get in a hurry and make a mistake. I use Cabela's Rip Chord SI 20# test braid on my Abu Revo SX and Curado 200E7 reels.

I have used "bait casters" all my adult life...using them is second nature to me- I feel they give a big advantage for leverage on large fish- the line twist of spinning reels is not a factor in conventional reels and the high dollar Abu Revo's, Diawas, and Shimano's can cast just about any weight lures- When it comes to ultra light fishing, spinning reels shine- they win- hands down- and it is totally different experience casting sitting in a kayak seated than casting standing in a boat- takes some adjustments and it has a learning curve getting used to it- at least it was for me- and I backlashed a lot more seated than standing- took me a while-

P.S.- I have not had any luck with Bass Pro brand baitcasters- the $90 (on sale) top of their line Johnny Morris signature models is a backlash waiting to happen for me- same with the Quantum reels- I fish two Revo SX and a Curado 200E7 reels for just about everything- for my heavy-duty fishing I use 6500 C-3 Abu's....the "sweet spot" for a high-quality, yet affordable reel in this category is about $150.00 although the top of the line low-profile casting reel is $450.00...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-31-2012, 07:36 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yup, braid works fine on baitcasters. I've only ever had one backlash that resulted in cutting. I had way more with mono. I have a couple points to add in addition to everyone's excellent advice: 1) don't fill the spool all the way (less filled spool = slower spool speeds, I think), and 2) picking birds nests out of heavier braid seems easier to me than lighter braid, at least for 20lb test vs. 10lb.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

you get what you pay for with baitcasters. Don't go cheap or you will hate them.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The way I learned to cast with a baitcaster was to use the same 3/8 ounce spinnerbait with mono and just cast and cast and cast. Because the weight and the wind resistance was always the same it helped in educating my thumb. In the beginning it was cast, pick out backlash, retreive, cast, pick out backlash, retrieve (repeat).

Eventually I was able to cast that lure very well, caught a bunch of bass along the way and was able to venture into casting different lures with different weights and wind resistances. I did start out with a cheap baitcaster as I did not know any better and I don't think I could afford much at the time.

Now, I use baitcasters over 90% of the time as I just love the accuracy and the direct contact with the presentation.
                Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I've used mono and braid. Like others have said, you are gonna birdsnest with either. Many people will say that braid gives you worse birdsnests and that's true if a) You get too thin of line and b) If you have the brakes wide open! LOL For Mono I would go with about 15-20 lb. If you want to use braid go with about 30#. The thinner the diameter the worse your birdsnests can get. Just start slow... there are a lot of vids on youtube on how to tune a baitcaster ESP. for beginners. Don't try to cast it 75 yards the first time out with it, go slow. If you can get 5 yards without blowing up that's great!! Then slowly test your limits. You catch on with them pretty quickly. I fish a baitcaster whenever I can and I just started using them about 2 seasons ago!

Now others have mentions starting with a good baitcaster first. I haven't had extensive purchases as they have, but what I learned on was an Abu Garcia Black Max. I still use it too. It's a great reel that you can get for like $40. So you won't break the bank and it has mag brakes so it helps while you are learning to thumb the spool.

Comment

The black max was discontinued from garcia they now make a better version called the silver max with a flippingnswitch for 50 i believe . Very solid reel
                    Zach Moore
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                      yes braid will work on all types of reels, Using a backer such as mono or electric tape is crucial just like on a spinning reel. I use braid on my bait casters, but also like mono as well for certain things.
                      Zach. What is the purpose of the backer? How much backer line or electric tape do you use?

The baitcaster I do have is the most expensive combo that I have ever bought. It is an Abu Garcia Revo Sx eleven bearing, with a 6'6" medium action 1/4 to 5/8 oz lure rod. It is incredibly smooth. I used it for the first time for over two hours before I got the first birds nest. That was a result of a piss poor cast on my part.

Comment

You can use light line braid on a low profile baitcaster as long as you spool it VERY tightly. Part of the reason for braid blowups on baitcasters is the thin line digs into itself. Spooling it tightly will help minimize this. You'll still get blowups but this will help reduce them.

With that said I don't see the need to go any lighter then 30lb braid as its has 8lb mono diameter. IMO

Comment

Oddly enough, you can still get the Black Max (and the Silver Max) at Walmart. I hate to shop there but I did see both reels there (Bowie store) last week. I never thought much about the fishing dept at Walmart but they had some really nice stuff (Abu Garcia Vendetta rods, Falcon rods, Shimano Stradic reels, Abu Garcia Orra Inshore reels, etc.). I was surprised.

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                          The black max was discontinued from garcia they now make a better version called the silver max with a flippingnswitch for 50 i believe . Very solid reel

Comment

I agree with Nay Sayer. I've seen all that equipment and more at the Walmarts near Columbia and Arundle Mills. They had a pretty good selection. At some point I'm going to get a bait caster to use.

Comment

russ i have a garcia SX as well. My opinon for the money, best reel on the market. Smoothest casting reel ive tryed at bass pro, farthest cast, and sporting a 23lb drag system AND salt water capable. You picked a winner i must say.

The reason for the backer is the aluminum spool on the bait caster, using braid since it is so thin, just slips around the spool just tied right to the spool. The line being so thin it actually digs into it self, never digging into the spool so it spins while fighting a bigger fish. Mono and flouro does not do this bc it stretch's, even if its just a little, but it does, braid is a zero stretch . Now giving that thin braid something to dig into ( mono ) under neath, which stretchs and catches around the spool, your braid will just dig into the mono

As far as how much to put on, pending how big your spool of braid is. If you just want to put 150 yds on you have to spool up about half of your reel if your using 30 lb braid. if you have 300 yards, just cover the spool with the mono, like mayb 2 small layers.
                              Zach Moore
                              Bait Towel Pro Staff
                              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                              X