No announcement yet.

Best Type Of Line For A Baitcasting Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE line twist and birds nest. When I am throwing light jigs and topwater lures, I periodically take the lure off and put a 1oz sinker on the swivel and heave it out alone. I reel it in at a slow to medium retrieve. I do this with both spinners and baitcast reels and find that it 1, tightens up the line on the spool and 2, keeps down the number of birds nest and wind knots.

I use both mono and braid on both type reels depending what I am doing with them. In my opinion, untangling even thin mono is much easier that untangling braid. If you are just starting to use braid on a baitcast reel, I suggest using a thicker diameter (like 50#) and a heavier jig until you get the hang of it.

Just my .02.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I have the sx as well. Spooled with 17lb braid. First baitcaster I've owned. I love it. Spent plenty time practicing casting on land, fooling with the settings. Very easy to use w/braid
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

As everyone else said mono or braid works well. With that said, I prefer braid.

1) If you are just starting out, take out about as much line as you think an average cast will be. Then place a piece of electrical tape on the spool. From that point you can practice casting and if a backlash occurs, it will only be as bad as what line is over the tape. You can limit the damage while learning.

2) If during regular use, you throw a backlash, tighten the drag all the way down. Put your thumb on the spool with alot of pressure and turn the spool with the handle a few revolutions. Then press the free spool button and pull out as much line as you can. If you get to a point where the line hangs up again, repeat the process. You will find that there are only a few backlashes that won't come out using this method. I saw a guy do this one time, and it was like magic. All those years that I would pick out backlashes and then to see this was just like magic. It will improve you fishing life.

Comment

the best line for a baitcaster

Addition 832 Plait. | Best Twisted Line For A Baitcaster.

Powerpro Super 8 Smooth Line. | Best Line For A Baitcaster.

Stren Superline Plait.

Seaguar TATSU Fluorocarbon Angling Line. | ...

Seaguar Abrazx Angling Line.

Sunline Super FC Sharpshooter.

Berkley Trilene XL Mono. | ...

Yo-Zuri Half and half.

Comment

Wow, talk about reviving the dead!
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Like everyone else has said braid is fine. The one bait caster that I'm using now is spooled with 20 lb. braid. I have been fishing for over 50 years and have never used a line that was heavier than 20 lb. The reel is a lew's speed spool. I am very happy with the reel so far. It is not designed for salt water use (which is what I'm using it for) so I will see how long it lasts.

Comment

I have a Lew's and it last just fine in brackish water if you rinse it afterward. I also use 20# braid which works pretty well.
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Plus 1 on reviving the dead- braided line has put this conversation to bed a long time ago...and cheap baitcasters are extremely hard to cast no matter what line is on it...high quality baitcasters like Revos and Lews...have systems that make casting light weight lures possible...but still require experience and some skill...
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-09-2017, 08:01 AM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
                    I'm just starting to use a Baitcasting Reel. What is the consensus about the best type of line to use with emphasis on cutting back on the number of birds nests? I really like using braided line and have switched all of my spin casters that way. Will it work on a Baitcaster? Thanks All.
                    the best line for a baitcaster.
                    Suffix 832 Braid. | Best Braided Line For A Baitcaster.
                    Powerpro Super 8 Slick Line. | Best Line For A Baitcaster.
                    Stren Superline Braid.
                    Seaguar TATSU Fluorocarbon Fishing Line.
                    Seaguar Abrazx Fishing Line.
                    Sunline Super FC Sniper.
                    Berkley Trilene XL Mono.
                    Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

Comment

birds nest

Originally posted by richellealessi View Post
                      the best line for a baitcaster.
                      Suffix 832 Braid. | Best Braided Line For A Baitcaster.
                      Powerpro Super 8 Slick Line. | Best Line For A Baitcaster.
                      Stren Superline Braid.
                      Seaguar TATSU Fluorocarbon Fishing Line.
                      Seaguar Abrazx Fishing Line.
                      Sunline Super FC Sniper.
                      Berkley Trilene XL Mono.
                      Yo-Zuri Hybrid.
                      When learning how to cast with a bait caster it is not about the type of line you use. All of today's modern lines will work fine when used correctly. To control the backlash you need to understand what causes it. It's not so much about the line burying itself into a loose spool. What happens when you cast is the speed of the spool will exceed the speed of the line paying out. When this happens it will create a loop and the line will start wrapping in reverse, causing a tangle. To learn to control this you need to keep your thumb in contact with the spool at all times. Using almost zero pressure at the beginning of the cast and then increasing pressure as the line reaches the end of the cast. You will notice if you increase the set up pressure so that the line won't free fall anymore the number of birds nest will decrease. That's because you are no longer allowing the spool to out spin the speed of the line going out. Try with a slightly tighter spool control and as you learn to control your thumb you can decrease the drag and get loner cast.

Comment

Working...
                      X