Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Type Of Line For A Baitcasting Reel

Like everyone else has said braid is fine. The one bait caster that I'm using now is spooled with 20 lb. braid. I have been fishing for over 50 years and have never used a line that was heavier than 20 lb. The reel is a lew's speed spool. I am very happy with the reel so far. It is not designed for salt water use (which is what I'm using it for) so I will see how long it lasts.

I have a Lew's and it last just fine in brackish water if you rinse it afterward. I also use 20# braid which works pretty well.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 40 backup power

Plus 1 on reviving the dead- braided line has put this conversation to bed a long time ago...and cheap baitcasters are extremely hard to cast no matter what line is on it...high quality baitcasters like Revos and Lews...have systems that make casting light weight lures possible...but still require experience and some skill...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-09-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by russ498 View Post
    I'm just starting to use a Baitcasting Reel. What is the consensus about the best type of line to use with emphasis on cutting back on the number of birds nests? I really like using braided line and have switched all of my spin casters that way. Will it work on a Baitcaster? Thanks All.
    the best line for a baitcaster.
    Suffix 832 Braid. | Best Braided Line For A Baitcaster.
    Powerpro Super 8 Slick Line. | Best Line For A Baitcaster.
    Stren Superline Braid.
    Seaguar TATSU Fluorocarbon Fishing Line.
    Seaguar Abrazx Fishing Line.
    Sunline Super FC Sniper.
    Berkley Trilene XL Mono.
    Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

Default birds nest

Quote Originally Posted by richellealessi View Post
    the best line for a baitcaster.
    Suffix 832 Braid. | Best Braided Line For A Baitcaster.
    Powerpro Super 8 Slick Line. | Best Line For A Baitcaster.
    Stren Superline Braid.
    Seaguar TATSU Fluorocarbon Fishing Line.
    Seaguar Abrazx Fishing Line.
    Sunline Super FC Sniper.
    Berkley Trilene XL Mono.
    Yo-Zuri Hybrid.
    When learning how to cast with a bait caster it is not about the type of line you use. All of today's modern lines will work fine when used correctly. To control the backlash you need to understand what causes it. It's not so much about the line burying itself into a loose spool. What happens when you cast is the speed of the spool will exceed the speed of the line paying out. When this happens it will create a loop and the line will start wrapping in reverse, causing a tangle. To learn to control this you need to keep your thumb in contact with the spool at all times. Using almost zero pressure at the beginning of the cast and then increasing pressure as the line reaches the end of the cast. You will notice if you increase the set up pressure so that the line won't free fall anymore the number of birds nest will decrease. That's because you are no longer allowing the spool to out spin the speed of the line going out. Try with a slightly tighter spool control and as you learn to control your thumb you can decrease the drag and get loner cast.