Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Type Of Line For A Baitcasting Reel

Quote Originally Posted by BassMoore View Post
    yes braid will work on all types of reels, Using a backer such as mono or electric tape is crucial just like on a spinning reel. I use braid on my bait casters, but also like mono as well for certain things.
    Zach. What is the purpose of the backer? How much backer line or electric tape do you use?

The baitcaster I do have is the most expensive combo that I have ever bought. It is an Abu Garcia Revo Sx eleven bearing, with a 6'6" medium action 1/4 to 5/8 oz lure rod. It is incredibly smooth. I used it for the first time for over two hours before I got the first birds nest. That was a result of a piss poor cast on my part.
    Mango Yellow Hobie Pro Angler 14 W/ Lowrance HDS 7 Touch Screen Down & Side imaging GPS, On A Dual Kayak Trailer.
    VHF Radio, Scotty Rod Mounts/Holders, Torqeedo Motor, and more gadgets than you can shake a rod at.

All this good stuff and I still need to figure out how to put fish in the boat.

GO RAVENS!!!!!!!

You can use light line braid on a low profile baitcaster as long as you spool it VERY tightly. Part of the reason for braid blowups on baitcasters is the thin line digs into itself. Spooling it tightly will help minimize this. You'll still get blowups but this will help reduce them.

With that said I don't see the need to go any lighter then 30lb braid as its has 8lb mono diameter. IMO

Oddly enough, you can still get the Black Max (and the Silver Max) at Walmart. I hate to shop there but I did see both reels there (Bowie store) last week. I never thought much about the fishing dept at Walmart but they had some really nice stuff (Abu Garcia Vendetta rods, Falcon rods, Shimano Stradic reels, Abu Garcia Orra Inshore reels, etc.). I was surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by BassMoore View Post
    The black max was discontinued from garcia they now make a better version called the silver max with a flippingnswitch for 50 i believe . Very solid reel

I agree with Nay Sayer. I've seen all that equipment and more at the Walmarts near Columbia and Arundle Mills. They had a pretty good selection. At some point I'm going to get a bait caster to use.

russ i have a garcia SX as well. My opinon for the money, best reel on the market. Smoothest casting reel ive tryed at bass pro, farthest cast, and sporting a 23lb drag system AND salt water capable. You picked a winner i must say.

The reason for the backer is the aluminum spool on the bait caster, using braid since it is so thin, just slips around the spool just tied right to the spool. The line being so thin it actually digs into it self, never digging into the spool so it spins while fighting a bigger fish. Mono and flouro does not do this bc it stretch's, even if its just a little, but it does, braid is a zero stretch . Now giving that thin braid something to dig into ( mono ) under neath, which stretchs and catches around the spool, your braid will just dig into the mono

As far as how much to put on, pending how big your spool of braid is. If you just want to put 150 yds on you have to spool up about half of your reel if your using 30 lb braid. if you have 300 yards, just cover the spool with the mono, like mayb 2 small layers.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

RE line twist and birds nest. When I am throwing light jigs and topwater lures, I periodically take the lure off and put a 1oz sinker on the swivel and heave it out alone. I reel it in at a slow to medium retrieve. I do this with both spinners and baitcast reels and find that it 1, tightens up the line on the spool and 2, keeps down the number of birds nest and wind knots.

I use both mono and braid on both type reels depending what I am doing with them. In my opinion, untangling even thin mono is much easier that untangling braid. If you are just starting to use braid on a baitcast reel, I suggest using a thicker diameter (like 50#) and a heavier jig until you get the hang of it.

Just my .02.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 40 backup power

I have the sx as well. Spooled with 17lb braid. First baitcaster I've owned. I love it. Spent plenty time practicing casting on land, fooling with the settings. Very easy to use w/braid
    <insert witty comment here>

As everyone else said mono or braid works well. With that said, I prefer braid.

1) If you are just starting out, take out about as much line as you think an average cast will be. Then place a piece of electrical tape on the spool. From that point you can practice casting and if a backlash occurs, it will only be as bad as what line is over the tape. You can limit the damage while learning.

2) If during regular use, you throw a backlash, tighten the drag all the way down. Put your thumb on the spool with alot of pressure and turn the spool with the handle a few revolutions. Then press the free spool button and pull out as much line as you can. If you get to a point where the line hangs up again, repeat the process. You will find that there are only a few backlashes that won't come out using this method. I saw a guy do this one time, and it was like magic. All those years that I would pick out backlashes and then to see this was just like magic. It will improve you fishing life.

the best line for a baitcaster

Addition 832 Plait. | Best Twisted Line For A Baitcaster.

Powerpro Super 8 Smooth Line. | Best Line For A Baitcaster.

Stren Superline Plait.

Seaguar TATSU Fluorocarbon Angling Line. | ...

Seaguar Abrazx Angling Line.

Sunline Super FC Sharpshooter.

Berkley Trilene XL Mono. | ...

Yo-Zuri Half and half.

Wow, talk about reviving the dead!
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 40 backup power