Our First Outing was a success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our First Outing was a success

Today was the end of the dream and the beginning of a long term endeavor that had begun back on March 3rd 2011 while sitting at the first annual MKF Fishing Flea Market. I think I first mentioned the idea of starting a Maryland HOW Chapter to Naysayer and Surfdog and perhaps a few other folks from MKF. Now we continue to support men and woman who served our country whether it be overseas or domestically and were injured physically or emotionally while fullfilling their sworn duty to protect and serve. I want to thank everyone who took part in or had a part in puting this, our first outing to put Military personel, Police and Firefighters injured in the line of duty, into a kayak and handing them a fishing pole. Today, we saw the joy in the faces of our honored participants when they got in a Yak and started fishing. I know that Sam, one of our guests, had a smile on his face when he caught his first fish in a yak. That is why I took this on along with all of you, my friends and fellow kayak fisherman. Today we celebrated the service of one of our own Kayak Fisherman as well as a Volunteer firefighter injured while protecting life and property in his community. While it was not a large gathering, I was glad to see almost 20 boats and fellow fisheman on the water. I can't thank you all enough for making my DREAM come true. We will have several more of these outings and I know I can count on all of you to come and make each and everyone as much of a success as the last. Thank You all again.
    On a side note, I was also informed that the Fire station where we had our first fishing flea market last year, will be holding another event on the first Saturday in March, just as last year. Keep it on your calendar and start looking for all of the accumulated junk and stuff that you want to get rid of. I'm also told that it will benifit Md HOW. Check out our new Facebook Page, Heroes on the Water Maryland.
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

I just now saw this after posting my fishing report. Thanks for organizing everything, gents. I hope our heroes had a good time.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Tom,

Had a great time on the water Saturday morning and I know Mike did to even though the fish he caught got off at the boat. I managed mostly dinks in the morning and then a few good perch after we came back and had everyone go out. I look forward to the future events and getting more people involved to help out. Thanks again to Tom and John on starting a great chapter that we can all be apart of.
      Keith
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Nice to meet up with everyone out there. My morning was generally pretty slow, but I managed five species: spot, croaker, striper, pumpkinseed, and white perch. Most fish were small but I took home 8 perch over 10" the biggest being 12". I finally found a pretty consistent pick of larger Perch near the small jetty in front of manresa cove around 9am. I wish I would have been able to help put some of the HOW participants on fish, but I think they may have went a different direction then me.

Another thing of note, I thought that I had lost my anchor because the line came unclipped from my float, but it ended up being caught in my anchor trolley. I think I spent a good 20 minutes trying to drag a large spoon with a treble hook along the bottom before realizing that the anchor was actually still attached to my kayak!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. It was nice to see a good turnout from my fellow MKF folks.The couple that came out told me that they thoroughly enjoyed themselves and hope to get a yak themselves to do some fishing sometime. That is my goal to one day, give each participant a yak and fishing gear to keep and not to make it just a one time event, but a lifetime hobby or sport. Shady, Is it possible that you were over the old Railroad tressel in front of Manreesa? I have always had good luck in that cove, irregardless of the time of year. Nice report and next time, I"ll make sure you have a Hero with you too. Unfortunately, this time, we only had a few Heroe's to partner with. I understand that the OC Fishing Center is considering doing a Kayak Fishing Tournament about the 2nd week of October that would benefit HOW MD. That would put it around two weeks after the TKAA. I hope everyone puts a reserve of energy, and cash, on the back burner for this FIRST ANNUAL event. LOL Thanks again everyone!!!
          Please visit our Facebook Page at Heroe's on the Water Maryland to friend us and to let us know what you think. Keep in mind it is a work in progress....
          Last edited by medicyaker; 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM.
          Tom Brown
          Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
          2012 Hobie PA 14'
          Ocean Kayak Tident 13
          2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Glad everything worked out. I will definitely be there at the next event.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Medic,
              I actually had better luck along the small jetty and four old pilings with a deeper hole in the middle. I met up with creolo by the old railroad tressel and picked a few perch around there but most of them were not as big as by the jetty and old pilings.

I tried all of the spots that I normally have luck in and couldnt find nice perch in numbers or much of anything for that matter. The area in front of Manresa was my last spot to try and they were there.
              Attached Files
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I had a great time as well. It was good to meet quite a few people from here that you only see as a screen name. I enjoy fishing, don't know a whole lot about the salt water fishing up here. However, due to the ones I have talked with, their advice has helped a lot.

With that said, I fished around the bridge the entire morning. Used my ultra lite most of the time. Hooked 2 rocks about 5" or so. Then started using a 2" gulp minnow grub in fluorescent orange. Caught perch around every set of pylons. 11.5" being the biggest. A couple 10" and nothing under 9". (measured everything). Had something bigger, but the 2 pound mono didn't hold very long.

Tom, John, thanks for getting the Md chapter going. Fishing is always great. But you can't put a price on the friendships that it can make. Had a fantastic time. Fun is over, time for the next one. I will keep working on finding some more veterans, and keep you updated on any leads. Also, is it possible to get some flyers or brochures to hand out? Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X