Newbie to the sport - hardware to mount rod holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to the sport - hardware to mount rod holders

Hello - I'll let this serve as my introduction. I'm new to the site and sport. This past weekend I was at RIPs on 301 and met a guy who attended the recent meet and greet and he directed me to this site. Been a life long fisherman, but never owned a boat or kayak. Decided upon an imagine paddle board which is also set up to be used as a SOT kayak. My thought was it would be great to stand up and fish and also get a better view. Been out on it a couple of times and tracks much better as a kayak, however the stand up feature is nice. Now I'm setting it up for fishing got the milk crate sorted out with pvc rod holders and home-made leashes, need to up upgrade the seat (any suggestions? looking for something to elevate my rear end out of the water) and I bought two Scotty rod holders.

Trying to figure what hardware to use to mount the holders. I have a rivit gun but think the rivits would not work due to depth. Can't access the area underneath therefore my options are limited. Any suggestions? Also which way should the holders be directed with the rods to the rear or front? Pictures will be forthcoming! rxh

Welcome! Interested to see some pics of your yak / sup. Mounting the rod holders without access to the hull leaves a limited number of options. I think I have heard of people using the togle bolts like are used for drywall / masonary or similar devices as well as rivets. Depending on the layout, you could also consider installing a hatch so you can access / store stuff inside the yak. I'm sure others will be able to give you some more advice.

Chimo

Comment

Welcome! You might want to consider the Yakattack gear trax. These attach to the hull with small screws and you do not need access inside the hull to install.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

One way to make a water tight seal, as best as possible, would be to use well nuts. They are rubber cased nuts, that when tightened, the rubber seals the hole. You can also add some Goop to the rig for extra seal. I have seen folks Goop over rivets also. There are some options. You may also be able to put a 4," or so, screw in access hatch, if your situation allows.

Welcome to the site.

Comment

Thanks guys; thinkin drywalll screws may be the best option since I don't have access to the area where I am going to mount the rod holders. Also which way rods to the rear or forward? I've attached a before pic of my sup/sot....and will post an after pic soon once i'm done

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like well nuts or adding a hatch would work. There is also the Fullback from YakAttack you should check out. http://www.yakattack.us/ check out the video.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I would not use drywall screws. For one, they will rust pretty quickly unless stainless steel.
              I would use a short length of geartrac and use the supplied hardware.
              Don Haller
              Chesapeake Beach, MD
              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Welcome- lots of like minded folks on this site who are great- I have absolutely no clue about paddle board setups- sounds like some good advice from previous posters- YakAttack is really top notch gear if you decide to buy from them- I have purchased quite a bit of my gear from them and find everything high quality, well engineered- Austin Canoe and Kayak is another source I use- fast shipping, great customer service, decent prices...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm the guy that you met at Rips on 301 and I'm glad to see you looked this forum up. I don't really have any suggestions for you about your setup that haven't been posted but this site is great and full of information for people both new and seasoned to kayak fishing. Hope you catch some fish on your sup!
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Reelaxin10 - Thanks for referring me. Great place to get good advice and share the experience. Look forward to meeting you again out there hopefully on the water! Gonna head out to the Mattawoman this weekend and try hunting some snakeheads.

Comment

I love RIPs! - During the fall and winter I stop in there quite a bit on Friday evenings on my way home from work. I'll start looking for MKF shirts from now on!
                      Cheers!
                      Don Haller
                      Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Just an update. Decided to go with drywall type attachment using stainless steel screws, washers and silicone to make it water proof. So far so good took it out to Friendship Farm Park (Nanjemoy creek) and did some fishin. Saw saw another yaker out there in the distance. Blue sit in yak. As for the fish I caught....nothin! tried everything, crankbaits, spinners, plastic worms even tried bottom fishing with grass shrimp.... the fish were not interested. Had a good time though beautiful scenery.

Thanks to all for your warm welcome and advice. rxh

Comment

Sounds like you're havin' fun!!
                          Don Haller
                          Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X