Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Fishing Trip

Hey guys,

My friend and i are thinking about doing a saltwater night fishing trip from shore. we went to the patuxent river naval air station last time and fished from the concrete pier with little success.

Do you guys have any suggestions for places to night fish? it can be surf, pier, jetty i just want it to be saltwater. there is no specific species we are going after just looking for a lot of fish and maybe a few striper or flounder mixed in.

we live in ashburn and would like to keep the drive below 3 hours.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tyler

Point Lookout State Park would be a good option. There are lots of choices of places you can fish so you can keep trying different places until you find them. There's a lighted pier. You can fish from the causeway with long rods, and you can fish from the riprap at the point near the lighthouse.

You can also fish from shore at Piney Point, too, which is on the Potomac River in Maryland. Bring a long rod to heave something past the shallows and a regular 6-7 footer for casting closer.

There's also a pier at Solomons on the Patuxent River, but the fishing at the base might be better.

That's all the options I can think of at the moment.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Point Lookout or Sandy Point. I think you might get more pullage at PLO. Even some whiting mixed in with croaker, spot, blues and of course rockfish. The night bite seems better but just make sure you get to fish most of the incoming high.
      Hobie Outback
      WS Tarpon
      IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Where would you suggest i start at point look out? the pier?

Comment

If you can get a good spot on the pier go for it. I like my privacy and dont really want to deal with the "cons" of pier fishing. Although because of the structure you may have a good chance at catching other, maybe larger species that hang around the pier. When I fish PLO from shore I fish on the Bay side closest to the lighthouse. I usually bring three rods. A surf rod, bait rod and lure rod.

I havent yakked there this yr yet but there are tons of reports of people catching lots of croaker 100-200 yards out. If the tide is right you can still get some good pullage from shore.
          Hobie Outback
          WS Tarpon
          IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
          X