St. Clements Island MD Sunday 07/01/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Clements Island MD Sunday 07/01/12

We fished St. Clements Island (Potomac River) in southern MD Sunday 07/01/12. (Was there last weekend as well and both trips were equally decent) Launched from Colton’s Point Marina. (2 mile paddle to the island). (Closer put in points but like amenities at the marina) Plenty of rockfish from dinks up to a couple 20”. Bite was fast to better than consistent all day. Quit counting. Trolled, cast, and jigged. A lot of big croaker as well. Some perch and puppy drum. Fished SW side along the rip rap to almost a half mile off. Sand bars on both sides produced as well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fishtank; 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Very nice. Any size to the puppy drum? Also, how much is it launch from Colton's Point Marina, and what are the other put in points in that area? I don't know that stretch of the Potomac very well but would like to check it out.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Puppy drum were dinks. Colton’s Point Marina charges $2.50. Very nice and accommodating people. As for an alternate launch site. There is a very small section of public beach at the bend on Beach Road to the east of St. Clements Island Museum. You may want to call the museum or town to confirm. I put in there once without a problem. Parked in back of the museum. We fish St. Clements a lot as it’s more consistent than most places. A close look at a chart and you can see why it holds fish.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
        A close look at a chart and you can see why it holds fish.
        Oh yeah, that's why I've been looking for a place to launch near there. I checked out the museum years ago when I first got my yak, but couldn't figure out where to launch, and the staff didn't know, either. However, I think they added the launch relatively recently. Thanks for the info.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I believe the launch on Beach Road is owned by the town, not the museum, but the museum has suggested that as a put in.
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

Working...
          X