I Finally Ate Toad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Finally Ate Toad

That's right, oyster toad fish. It's the ugly fish everyone throws back.

With all the talk about it being tasty, I just had to try it. So, today I had some for dinner.

After I caught the toads yesterday, I cut them up while on the yak (using Jack's method). It was messy, but I took home two nice "body fillets" on ice.

(Click on the "Cleaning Mr. Toad" image to see Jack's cleaning demo: http://drumwagon.com/toadclean.htm)

I used pliers to take off the skin, and my wife reluctantly pan fried the flour-coated fish.

Just as they say, it tastes pretty good. In my opinion, better than croaker. It has an almost sweet taste to the flaky meat. It's best to catch/eat the larger fish because it's harder to rid of the bones in the smaller ones. I think the secret to enjoying toad is to not think about how they look.

Anyone up for toad fishing?

Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Never going to happen...........
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
      Never going to happen...........
      +1
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice. I might have to try it out to get revenge on those big suckers taking my gulp.

Comment

I tried one that I caught down at the HRBT last year and didnt come away with much meat because I tried fileting the fish. Did you get that little claw thing from the video? I probably wont try it again...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Never, ever going to happen- too many fish that are delicious and toads are toads-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

...lol....you guys ought to push the envelop in fish eating.....where's the Andrew Zimmern in you?

No, didn't use the claw tool, Ryan. Since the first toad was good size, it was a last minute decision to take toads home. Had a small cutting board and a small paring knife on the yak. After I struggled to cut behind the head, I held the head down and ripped the body off with my bare hand. That's why it was a bit messy on the yak. Those things are really slimy.

Also, notice I really didn't fillet the fish. I just had the whole body cooked. The smaller body had a lot of small bones.
              Last edited by tufnik; 07-01-2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

tufnik, give me your number, next time I catch some I'll save them for you. The old saying "if it smells like fish eat it" doesn't apply to those ugly things.

Comment

Snakehead maybe, toad never.

Comment

Looks delicious! I'd catch and eat some of those with you.

FWIW the fish in the video demo is a blow toad, or puffer fish, not an oyster toad, oyster cracker, toadfish, or whatever else people call those things. They do have similar body structures and it looks like the cleaning method worked well. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I don't understand why the fear of eating it. Do you guys eat pretty cows and pigs only? All it matters is what food it eats because
                      it's what flavors the meat usually.

Comment

I have a crow recipe if you want to try eating those next
                        Make me sweet again
                        fragrant and fresh and wild
                        and thankful for any small event
                        ~Rumi~

Comment

Buzzard, anyone?
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Goes in and out the same so why not?

Comment

Reminds me of that show, "Shallow Hal"......maybe hypnosis will do the trick.....lol.....

Anyway, next up on the menu: snakehead and skate. I don't quite get snakeheads. People said it's ugly, it's creepy, it's frightening, it's........then all of a sudden, it's the rage.... and now people want to catch and eat them.

Comment

Working...
                              X