Snakeheads and Chatterbaits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakeheads and Chatterbaits

I am not sure if it’s just confidence in these lures, I use them a lot, or if they really do the trick but I seem to keep catching good fish on them.

Caught this 11lb Snakehead on a white chatterbait in Belmont Bay this weekend.
    Attached Files

Nice Job

Gotta love catching snakeheads. I picked up a couple of chatterbaits, so I'll have to give them a try the next time I'm on the tidal Potomac.

Comment

Don't forget a trailer at least 4" seems to increase the strike ratio. For the white chatterbaits I use a baby fluke 4" in white

Comment

eeek, those still creep me out.
        sigpic

Comment

nice fish. I can't wait to get one in the yak.
          Cliff Williams
          Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

a good chance to catch one at the meet n greet in July at Mattawoman - suggest launching from 225 instead of mattingly - rage tail frogs / Stanley Ribbit frogs / SPRO Frogs over grass mats and along spatterdock early in morning - 1/4 oz Chatterbaits in white or chartreuse with trailer near structure and spatterdock - thin braid on spinning gear (10lb test - 2.5 dia) with floro leader 10-20lb about 2-3ft long - long casts and cover ground

Comment

I've had some real problems with hook sets and snakehead. I was fishing a weighted fluke on the outer edge of some milfoil. Felt a tick and let it drop. My line started to run so I set myself and performed and epic hookset, only to have my line snapped immediately. 20lb braid, tied directly to the hook. I only say it was a snakehead because of their teeth and that I've had this happen about 6 or 7 times on top water explosions as well (we all know how violent these fish can it the surface). I'm really trying to nail a few. Maybe my hookset are too rough?

The reason I came here though was to comment on the chatterbaits. I have a few jigs that I make myself use just to get better, but the fish don't seem to like them. I picked up a few chatterbaits, hoping the blade will help a little. I really want to learn to flip and pitch this summer. It's hard to learn when they dont bite.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

Set the hook hard- I use six feet of 20 pound Trilene mono as leader- it has some stretch- braid doesn't- Haven't had any breakoffs-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Camelbird- Are you ripping the chatterbait like a buzzbait or just rolling them off the bottom like a spinnerbait?

Comment

Nice SH. I've had a little luck so far this year with snakeheads on a chatterbait at Mallows Bay and Mattawoman
                    Robby
                    2014 Hobie Revo 13
                    12' Camo F&S SOT "Dirty Floater"

Comment

The only thing I have caught with Chatterbaits is LM Bass- but it is still fun to get a 4# or better bass on the right tackle- I was using the clear (with metalflakes) 6 inch flukes weightless around the weedbeds- big blowups but it seems the fish were just smaking the bait without inhaling- could not get a solid hookup-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        Set the hook hard- I use six feet of 20 pound Trilene mono as leader- it has some stretch- braid doesn't- Haven't had any breakoffs-
                        Hmm.. guess I never really thought to use mono. It's just a knee jerk reaction to think fluro when talking leaders. I dont really have to worry about depth and visibility in the water I fish. I think Ill give it a shot! Thanks for the tip.
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

As long as I'm not punchin pads I like to use my medium power fast action 8-14lb test 7ft spinning - 10lb super slick and some leader. I set the hook decently hard

Ron - I work the white or chartreuse chatterbaits like a spinnerbait - constant with a few pops here and there and sometimes even burn it through. The dark chatterbaits I work like a jig - popping it off the bottom. Both with trailers

Comment

Working...
                          X