Hobie owners - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie owners - advice needed

I'm getting closer to biting the bullet and purchasing a Hobie. I love my tarpon 120 but it can get annoying in the wind and current always present in the bay. The tarpon also tends to drift allot faster than other yaks which makes the problem even worse. Now for the advice

1. How much faster is the Revo vs the Outback.

2. Being a bigger ( 250lb ) fellow will the Outbacks increased weight capacity and better stability outweigh the speed increase of the Revo?

3. Are the turbo fins and sailing rudder a noticeable upgrade? Are they something i should buy right away?

4. How is the factory Hobie seat?

5. How are the factory rod holders in the outback and Revo? I noticed the outback has two up front and two in the rear. Are the front mounted rod holders angled in a way to allow trolling. How did you rig your rod holders if the factory holders did not cut the mustard?

6. Fish finder locations. Where did you mount your FF and transducer?

Enough questions for now.

i'll answer the ones i can...

3. Are the turbo fins and sailing rudder a noticeable upgrade? Are they something i should buy right away?

I don't have the turbo fins, but have the ST fins and there is a difference between those and the standards, but not huge, at least in open water to me. maybe on a lake you would see a bigger difference?

4. How is the factory Hobie seat?
    The only thing that bothers me is the straps get loose quickly so i have to pull them tight quite often. some need more cushion, but i'm ok with it. i guess it could be better, but i'm not sweating it.

5. How are the factory rod holders in the outback and Revo? I noticed the outback has two up front and two in the rear. Are the front mounted rod holders angled in a way to allow trolling. How did you rig your rod holders if the factory holders did not cut the mustard?

Hobie sells rod holder extenders but i see no need. I use the factory rod holders on the revo that sit behind me while trolling and have never had a rod pop out on a hit.

6. Fish finder locations. Where did you mount your FF and transducer?

I have mine on the left gunnel right in from of the net storage area. most place it there on either the left or right side. check my reports and you'll see pics of mine on the revo. The transducer is located int he hull behind the sail mount, just gooped to the floor. the cable runs out the gunnel right next to the fishfinder and i just duck taped the underside and gooped the hole flush to keep it watertight. there should be pictures of this int he riggin section...
    sigpic

Comment

i like my revo but the outback is a nice fishing kayak. at 250lbs you definatly would like the extra room. i got the revo because it was lighter than the outback, but comming from a redfish and tarpon i feel a little cramped in the revo. i got the airride inflatable cushin because the seat was hard on my butt.

Comment

i would defenitely recommend getting the sailing rudder. i think it makes a huge difference in turning compared to the stock. i bought the st fins right when i bought the hobie so I cannot compare those to the stock fins. I also bought the hobie cushion for the seat and it make this it a lot more comfortable. Although the new 2010 hobies come with a different seat, its more padded. The cushion is also nice cause it rises you a bit so you dont get your ass wet when you get water in the seat area. for a person your size, the outback might be a better choice, there is more room and its a bit more stable. i would go to backyard boats in Annapolis and test out both the revo and outback.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
        X