Freshwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater

anybody been yakin the sweet water lately? i'm gonna try and hit up the potomac or black hills one day after work for the hell of it. i wonder if the smallies int he potomac are still hitting like earlier in the year. maybe i'll try black hills for some LM, trust motor oil worm always works there if the spinners arent. any tips for fishing the potomac? i have had good luck with a small neon green crank bait on the river for smallies and trusty motor oil powerworm for large mouth around rileys lock.
    sigpic

My best bass on the Potomac have all come from a baby bass pattern zoom fluke. I'm a big fan of flukes and use them for rock also, but they take some time to learn. I either put mine on an un-weighted hook or one of those screw in hooks with weight in the shank. Usually I go with a 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz.

I just cast it up current and then swing it like you'd swing a fly with occasional light jigging motion. Sometimes just a slack drift will produce more.

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

is that the abu revo reel?
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        My best bass on the Potomac have all come from a baby bass pattern zoom fluke. I'm a big fan of flukes and use them for rock also, but they take some time to learn. I either put mine on an un-weighted hook or one of those screw in hooks with weight in the shank. Usually I go with a 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz.

I just cast it up current and then swing it like you'd swing a fly with occasional light jigging motion. Sometimes just a slack drift will produce more.

A trick a guide on Lake Fork taught me was to use a worm type hook and just put a small bank sinker over the barb and let it hang on the belly of the hook ......... much cheaper and you can change the weight anytime you need to .......... makes them drop horrizontally and more naturally ......... paint them red and it looks like they are wounded in the belly ......... that tip was worth the price of the trip ........

Comment

That's a good tip! I've tried crimping a split shot on in the past, but it is prone to falling off. I'll have to try that at some point.

@Grilled Sardine - It's an Abu Garcia Revo Premier LH retrieve. It super light and casts a mile. I thought it would have the same specs as the Revo inshore, but it doesn't have as beefy of a drag system and it has more bearings. I got it originally for throwing topwater for reds and trout, but I have decided to use it only for freshwater bass/striper fishing now. I am considering selling it because it's so nice and I rarely ever freshwater fish if I can help it.

Comment

^ I've been looking to get the inshore revo for the bay. they are kinda expensive though. I'll be putting that on my list of things to buy this winter.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Super expensive. That's part of why I regret paying the extra dollars for the premier over the inshore!

Mine might be in the for sale section soon, I've only fished with it like 5 times because I'm afraid to take it on the kayak!

Comment

Let us know what you want for it ....... I might be interested ........

Comment

Will do memory maker. If you're interested I can bring it to the meet and greet also.

I thought I was being relocated to Charleston SC so I thought I'd get a nice reel with a fast retreive that would last me forever to fish for reds and trout. I also wanted something light I could throw all day. I have it on an All Star rod and it is by far the lightest combo I have.

I now use my Penn Sargus SG2000 on my kayak instead because I want to keep the abu reel nice and it also has a fast retrieve in a light body... What's the point of having a reel if you can't beat it up!? I caught that 27.5'' rock on Saturday on that Penn little reel and a bass pro shops graphite series in medium- it was a blast!

I've worked it out now so that I don't have to move to anymore and I can stay in the area and I don't really plan on doing much fishing other than on my kayak or specialized shore fishing (aka full contact jetty fishing). So I'll probably put it up for sale soon, I'll let you guys know.

Comment

I won't be there ........ going to Cherrystone (CBBT) ........ but if I were you, I'd bring it ....... someone there might buy it .......... and if they do It would be ok with me too ........

Glad you didn't have to relocate .......

Comment

Oh yeah! My fault. I've hijacked this tread again! I doubt I'll bring the revo that day unless I am going to jig with it. If someone wants it that's one thing but I'm not here to peddle my gear on anyone. We'll see you at the next event, and hopefully before we all show up at your trailer this winter....

@Grilled Sardine, we should get a snakehead trip going!

Comment

Working...
                      X