Eat Tog Head? You Bet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat Tog Head? You Bet!

This is for tog hunters and eaters, but it also applies to other species.

In many restaurants they serve whole fried fish, and people eat parts of the head too. If you know about big togs, they have large heads. The 22 and 22 1/2 inch togs I caught this past weekend at CBBT had big heads. It seemed a waste to just throw them away. So, my wife tried something different with togs this time. Yes, she cooked the fillets, but for the first time, she deep fried the whole head too. See the pics of the head deep frying and cooked? Man, this thing tastes great, maybe better than the fillets. See the white meat in the middle of the face below the eye? It's the cheek, and is considered the best part of the fish. There's quite a bit of meat in the head, especially the back end next to the sliced off fillets. It's delicious! If you don't, you guys ought to try it.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I had Halibut cheeks in Seattle- it was delicious!
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'd try it... Togs have similar head to the Sheephead back home and people make fish head soup with them.
      2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

In St Johns, Newfoundland, the local delicacy is cod tongue. The dish is not really tongue meat -- rather it is cheek meet cut roughly in the shape of a tongue. I had it there in March 2009 along with several local beers.

I had snapper throats in a restaurant on the Gulf Coast of Texas in August 2010. This literally was the throat and parts of the head with pockets of meat on it, cooked deep fried. It took a bit of extra work to get to the meat, but it was tasty.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Cheek meat is always the best ........... always take the striper cheeks ........ and trout

Did you know the Back River Brown Trout comes from cheeks .......... little known fact .......

Comment

Really cool. I do love eating the nasty bits of creatures. (am I setting myself up?)
            www.anglerswithoutborders.com
            Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

OMG... Look at the teeth on your dinner!!
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
              X