Thread: Eat Tog Head? You Bet!

Default Eat Tog Head? You Bet!

This is for tog hunters and eaters, but it also applies to other species.

In many restaurants they serve whole fried fish, and people eat parts of the head too. If you know about big togs, they have large heads. The 22 and 22 1/2 inch togs I caught this past weekend at CBBT had big heads. It seemed a waste to just throw them away. So, my wife tried something different with togs this time. Yes, she cooked the fillets, but for the first time, she deep fried the whole head too. See the pics of the head deep frying and cooked? Man, this thing tastes great, maybe better than the fillets. See the white meat in the middle of the face below the eye? It's the cheek, and is considered the best part of the fish. There's quite a bit of meat in the head, especially the back end next to the sliced off fillets. It's delicious! If you don't, you guys ought to try it.
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I had Halibut cheeks in Seattle- it was delicious!
    "Ugly Duckling" Moss Green Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I'd try it... Togs have similar head to the Sheephead back home and people make fish head soup with them.
    2010 Hobie Outback

In St Johns, Newfoundland, the local delicacy is cod tongue. The dish is not really tongue meat -- rather it is cheek meet cut roughly in the shape of a tongue. I had it there in March 2009 along with several local beers.

I had snapper throats in a restaurant on the Gulf Coast of Texas in August 2010. This literally was the throat and parts of the head with pockets of meat on it, cooked deep fried. It took a bit of extra work to get to the meat, but it was tasty.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14 and Slayer Propel 13

Cheek meat is always the best ........... always take the striper cheeks ........ and trout

Did you know the Back River Brown Trout comes from cheeks .......... little known fact .......

Really cool. I do love eating the nasty bits of creatures. (am I setting myself up?)

OMG... Look at the teeth on your dinner!!