Bushwood Report 4/15/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushwood Report 4/15/2012

Fourstep24 aka Foster told me that he and a few other kayakers were heading out to the Wicomico to catch catfish and search for any early arrival of croakers. The weather temperature was predicted to be in the lower 80's. The winds we expected to be 10 to 20 mph. After talking to Foster and checking the tides, I saw that high tide was at 11:02 AM, so Foster and I decided to leave our residents to head down to the Wicomico at 8:30am. We met up at the WaWa just before the Route 5 / 301 split. We bought some night crawlers and bloodworms on the way down at a 7-11 on Route 5. We made it down to the Bushwood ramp at 10:40am. There we ran into KevenFry who was also getting ready to launch and fish the Wicomico for catfish for a fish fry. We all hit the water just after 11:00am. We headed out to the mouth of the Wicomico past the point at the end of the cove. Kevin was nailing blue cats. I caught my fair share. Fishing was slow for Foster in the morning, but after Kevin went home in the early afternoon, Foster started to nail catfish. We fished in 10 to 17 feet of water. IN the afternoon I left Foster in search of croakers. I called him on his cell, and he already had 5 blue cats and a big perch. I caught a few perch in the deeper waters in 22 feet. I had already had my fill of blue cats, so I continued to hunt for croakers towards the green buoy in 26 to 31 feet of water. I ended up landing one 14 inch croaker in 31 feet of water on blood worms. I tried to catch more croakers, only to end up catching more blue cats up to 23 inches.

By this time it was after 4:00pm and James (MyT) and Langston (Metroman) made it onto the water. Grady Black came to the launch but I think we opted to head to Solomon's Island to fish. I decided to call it a day and started to head home after saying bye to the guys. At the end of the day I caught from the time that I got on the water and until I left. I landed 20 blue catfish (18 inches to 23 inches), one flathead catfish, one baby striper, and several small white perch. The blue cats seemed to go after the raw shrimp in the morning, but later in the evening they seemed to attack the bloodworms. The night crawlers worked also, but just not as good as the shrimp and blood worms on this trip.
    Attached Files

After seeing the Catfish feast going on at Bushwood, I decided not to launch and head over to the Pax instead. Launched at Clark's Landing, fished for a couple of hours with no love from the croakers!!

GB

Comment

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
      After seeing the Catfish feast going on at Bushwood, I decided not to launch and head over to the Pax instead. Launched at Clark's Landing, fished for a couple of hours with no love from the croakers!!

GB
      I heard from another angler that they were catching a couple at the Navy Base at the mouth of the Patuxant. They should be at Solomons and Bushwood soon.

Comment

Great day out there. In the evening hours, foursteps had the hot hand. I was meat wrangling on this trip in prep for some family gatherings in the future, so I had Foursteps save me the fish that he didnt want. I caught a few blue cats myself.

As the sun set, we headed over to a marked oyster sanctuary to hope for some croakers. No luck. After catcing one channel cat, we packed it in an headed back to the ramp. As we made our way in, the chop & wind began to pick up. Great day on the water with great guys. I have a cooler full of blue cats to take to get filleted. I have no need to keep any of these bad boys for quite some time lol
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Moc/Foursteps! Great fishing with you.
          I was so surprised when the wind did not pick up as forecast. That 's a first for me. Of course Ictalurus was not around so that probably accounts for it. We bring out the worst in the weather when we fish together.
          My favorite part of the day was the power boat that kept picking up and fishing where ever Moc and Foursteps moved.
          I went home with 8 catfish all over 20 except for one 18 incher. I certainly could have fished longer it was so much fun, but I started keeping fish too early and felt I needed to get the catch home. I had a spectacular fish fry! Very happy women at my house last night!
          Moc---good job on the croaker. Did you find the ledge there by the point where we were fishing? If so, did you mark any fish on it??
          Thanks for the pics...my camera died.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I found the croaker in 30 feet of water near the green marker up river, after I had my fill of blue cats. 20 cats by 2:30pm is enough..

I went over to the marker and fished bloodworms while drifting throught the deepest hole I could find. That is when I got the croaker. And darnet..I caught more big blue cats. I let them go except for one that I gave Metro. It was a fun time. I wish I could have stayed later and fish more with Metro and MyT, but I had to go. It was great fish with you Kevin, and Foursteps. I was not shocked when the weatherman missed the weather forecast again!.. 10 to 20 mph winds ended up being 3 to 4 mph all day that I was out there.

I agree with Kevin that It was funny seeing the motor boat shadowing my and Foursteps. I was laughing, and every 5 to 10 mins I was yelling FishOn! And I watched the boat and all they could do was point over to us kayakers, while their rod remained motionless.

It was a great time....Thanks Fourstep for encouraging me to go....

Comment

One of the hogs that gave me some excitement

Comment

Nice fish. The Wicomico is littered with them.....amazing. Now if just the crabs would move in...they are too expensive at the store.

Comment

I had a great time out there with everybody. This will be my first time trying Blue Cats so I hope it lives up to the best tasting kittie of them all. I ended up catching about 20 total and they were all nice. Here is my biggest of the day . I wish I took a picture of my entire catch as the entire back of my kayak was loaded with them. When I got home at 10pm I had to scrub it with some cleaner from all of the slime. Look forward to getting back out there.

Comment

That's a nice mess of cats, gents. Congrats on the lone croaker, too, Martin. Thanks for the details.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Croaker?
                      That is a good news. To me, the first week of May was the Croaker Day. I only bring cooked salad shrimp for everything. I will be there soon. Thanks for the reports

joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thanks for the report guys. Glad yall got into them. Im looking forward to the croakers too. If this warm weather stays, they'll be here sooner than later.
                        Hobie Outback
                        WS Tarpon
                        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Got my fish cleaned last night...

http://youtu.be/IhRwvE3w0-w

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post

Pretty cool, but why do they cut the heads off if they're just going to be filleted?
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post

Man, those guys are pretty fast. I have got to learn how to clean fish fast.

Hey, good job on the nice catches!
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                              X