Tog vs Battle 4000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tog vs Battle 4000

My weapon of choice for attackin tog last weekend was a 7ft St. Croix Mojo inshore with a Penn Battle 4000. I had 20 lb Power Pro spooled up. I had a previous issue with the reel and thought I had fixed it all completely. Once I finally hooked up into my Tog I noticed that the reel was skipping gears while I was "battling" the tog. When I was trying to reel in the fish the handle turned, skipped the main gear, and the spool did not rotate. Luckily it was not a total failure of the reel and I still got the fish in. After inspecting on the water I thought it was ok, and fished the rest of the day with it. After taking it completely apart yesterday my fears were confirmed.

On of the points on the main gear was indeed chipped. I had heard that the only complaint with the Battle was that the main gear was made out of aluminum "pot metal" which is basically a mix of crappy metals (downside of overseas production). However I believe this reel had underlying problems before the failure.

I own 3 other Penn Battles (two 6000s and a 7000) and have brought in countless stripers on all of them. I love the Battle, and will look into replacing the internal part(s).
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

could be just a defect with yours. send it back to penn, they may take care of it
    sigpic

Comment

I have Battles too. No problems yet. Use your warranty to get it fixed.

BTW. For togs, 20# braid is risky. Some guys use 40-50# braid. I use 25# mono. You need abrasion resistance.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        BTW. For togs, 20# braid is risky. Some guys use 40-50# braid. I use 25# mono. You need abrasion resistance.

Yeah I thought about that while on the water. I need a spare spool!! Im gettin Sue my old boss to give me another receipt (lost my first one). Have any of you guys dealt with the Penn Warranty department before, do I really need the receipt or are the pretty lenient?
        -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

There is a thread on SOL about the quality of the gears on those reels. Penn has a forum on there where actual Penn guys are monitoring and responding to customers. There is some discussion about making aftermarket gears for the slammers and battles that are brass like the old spinfishers. I think a lot of guys would buy these upgrades!

I'd try bass pro or another big shop first, they will probably just swap it out.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

For bottom fishing and reef dwellers, I use baitcasters and conventional round reels- tougher reel, more guts (even the super high-speed models), better drag-

For tossing light lures and UL fishing- I use spinners-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X