Piscataway, 4/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piscataway, 4/1

Since it sounded like the Mattawoman was slow yesterday, Kevin (kevinfry) and I decided to hit the Piscataway in search of bass and whatever else we could find. I really wanted to find some nicer bass than the dinks I catch at St. Mary's Lake.

We launched at the end of Wharf Road right around noon, which was early flood. The wind was blowing harder than forecasted. I don't know why that still surprises me.

We headed across the creek because we could see some woody debris in the water. It was kind of pretty over there.

The depth going across was between 2.5 and 4ft. I trolled a firetiger 1-minus but didn't have any hits. I started working the shoreline with a white and chartreuse spinnerbait, a black and white paddle tail fluke, my firetiger Rapala, and a blue and black chatterbait. I didn't have any luck, and the wind was moving me pretty quickly. I went around the corner to get out of the wind. Kevin picked up a couple yellow perch, but I still didn't have any strikes. I switched to a chartreuse curly tail grub on a stump jumper head and hooked two small bass that came unbuttoned. Both fish bent the hook despite being small. I switched to a different jig head, but didn't have any more strikes.

We went up a little creek near the back of the bay in an attempt to get out of the wind, but the creek was oriented perfectly with the wind and offered no protection. However, there were fish in the creek. Kevin was having some luck using spinners, so I switched to a white Rooster Tail and finally got rid of the skunk with a small crappie:

There was more structure in the creek, a harder bottom, and a little more depth (5-7ft). I picked up a 12" bass on the chatterbait. I actually caught it between a log and a dock and managed to flip the bass over the log bass pro-style:

On the next cast, I hooked a fat 16" bass. I was thankful that it swam toward the center of the creek and not toward the logs or dock. I also attempted a smile:

That pic definitely has a Mona Lisa quality to it.

I saw a bunch more submerged woody debris and switched to a white 2" Storm shad to try and scare up more crappie. It worked:

All three fish were around 12-12.5" and fought like bass. After that, I got snagged several times and couldn't line up properly on the stop, which prevented me from coaxing any more fish out of there.

I also picked up a 10" yellow perch while my chatterbait sat on the bottom of the creek as I picked out a backlash:

I don't know how that perch jammed a hook that big into its mouth.

I met up with Kevin again after that.

It was about 4pm and high tide at this point, and we decided to head back since we were going to have to fight the wind the entire way. Since it was high tide, we were able to use some of the auxiliary channels to work our way to the leeward shore, which was a good plan (thanks, Kevin).

Now for some artsy shots:

All told, I got exactly what I wanted today: a nice bass and some fat crappie. It probably would've been more productive to start in the creek at the outset. It's hard to beat a day of good company and good catching.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Very nice. Love the artsy pics too.

Good choice of venue... Mattawoman was slow today as well.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

One thing for certain, when Bill and I fish together one of two things is certain to result---either much greater than forecast-ed winds or scorching blood sucking heat. Given it is April 1, guess the latter was not an option today.
      My first time at this creek was poor in the catching (see my two micro fish----though i lost several others ) but rewarding for other reasons. One was the raucous fun taking place at the ramp. Surf Rods, beer,and corn hole seem to be a jolly combination. Everyone wants to talk after a day of catfishing, drinking and games of skill, LOL. Very entertaining!

oH....and I ate Bill's crappie for dinner. Almost as tasty as eating your own!
      Last edited by kevinfry; 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice work guys!! those are some really fat crappie!!!

Comment

Mattawoman was slow but we did catch fish- I got a nice bass and Chexone had several catfish and perch- And the wind was cold and brisk-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The best part of the raucous fun was two guys asking Kevin if he was an ex-football player or wrestler. Something about a contestant on WWE Tough Enough...

I should re-name my yak "Wind-Bringer" because the day I end up fishing usually turns out to be the windiest day of the week. If it attracted rain, it would at least be useful for ending droughts in different parts of the country. Maybe I can sell it the wind farm that's starting up in Virginia...

Kevin and I were betting that you guys slayed them on the Mattawoman since we went for a different option. Sounds like it was just a slow day in the Potomac area. At least the crappie and bass I caught today were really fat for their size. I wish I could've weighed the crappie because I think they were the heaviest I've caught even though they weren't the longest.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
              The best part of the raucous fun was two guys asking Kevin if he was an ex-football player or wrestler. Something about a contestant on WWE Tough Enough...
              LOL, I must have been at my manly best today! Amazing what not shaving for a couple of days can do for you.
              I assume the looming front that is coming through tonight must have put them off. Hard to imagine any weather putting catfish off the bite, but don't see another explanation.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Hi Ron, were you out on Saturday or was it Sunday? I saw Chexone on Saturday. It was slow for me in the morning, but it was more a matter of bait. Rockchaser had the right bait on Saturday, nightcrawlers and bloodworms worked the best. We must have caught a dozen blue catchfish, some perch, a giant carp and a few bass at Mattawoman.

Comment

Nice job guys. Those are some huge crappie.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice work.

Glad someone found some fish this weekend.

Meadeo
                    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I would have loved to have located some of those big crappie....

Comment

Dr. Bill: Same facial expression in every pic. Hilarious!!!

Nice crappie!!
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice work Bill.

And nice pics, especially the macro shots..

What type of camera are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                            Nice work Bill.

And nice pics, especially the macro shots..

What type of camera are you using?
                            Thanks. It's a Pentax Optio W20. It's actually a crummy camera overall, and I really wouldn't recommend it. However, it does a good job with macros and has a nice mult-shot self-timer feature, which is how I get the self-portraits.

My complaint with it is that the autofocus really stinks, especially if there's water in the frame, which defeats the purpose of a waterproof camera. I take many more shot than I post, but most of them are out of focus, or some weird part of the background is in focus while the subject and foreground are blurry. Yet, despite this, it can take macro shots and be in focus at about 1/2 an inch away. Go figure.
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

nice fish Bill. i think you have better luck with the wind with other hat

Comment

Working...
                              X