Kayak Crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
    It would have been nearly impossible to do it along the line. So anything close got thrown in the basket and checked at the end of the line.

I was trying to avoid the slip knots because I thought I'd be retying them every time. To get the necks off the line you have to pull the knot through, right? I am also worried that my method of pulling the line taut may pull some of the knots through. I like the idea of a snood, or a baitclip that is sort of independent of the main line, but perhaps the slip knot is the way to go and I'm seeing it wrong.

Thanks for the tips!
    Snoods or slip knots ......... slipknots won't pull through as long as you have a piece of eel or cneck on it ..........

Also you can cover your baited spool in salt and leave it outside without a fridge ........... won't smell too bad ..... animals usually leave it alone and the crabs love it .........

Try running your line in 1 direction. THe direction that keeps the baits in your shadow line .......... crabs usually stay on longer ......... when they don't see the sun ......

try 2 baskets if you have the room ........ 1 for culling and 1 for keeping ......... if you don't have room then try making a floating keeper basket with a flag so it doesn't get run over ...........

haven't done it with a yak but I have done it many times with a small boat .......... have to ...........

My girlfriend LOVES it when I give her crabs .......

Comment

I like the trotline setup and I have been thinking about doing that. I have a snood line, weights, etc for crabbing. All I need is to anchor a backet infront and too rig up a prop.... send more pics or videos of you setup with lots of detail...I find this really cool. Godd job!

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
        I like the trotline setup and I have been thinking about doing that. I have a snood line, weights, etc for crabbing. All I need is to anchor a backet infront and too rig up a prop.... send more pics or videos of you setup with lots of detail...I find this really cool. Godd job!
        Hey MOC,
        I happen to have this video running the line. When I get a chance I'll take some more pics and maybe a video showing the whole setup. You won't see my orange outback because it's ivory dune now...hull cracked and Hobie sold me a new one at a discount. So no, I don't have two crabbing kayaks, although it would be sweet

Eh, I've tried to upload the video several times but it uploads to 100% and then says "internal server error." You may have to wait on the video, but I'll get some new pics up as soon as I can...this weekend is going to be hard though.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I just picked up 4 ring traps and the associated goodies to give it a shot this fall. I don't want to even try a trot-line yet. I have a hard enough time fishing the pylons in my boat let alone paddling at a constant speed and direction while dipping crabs off a line.

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
            I just picked up 4 ring traps and the associated goodies to give it a shot this fall. I don't want to even try a trot-line yet. I have a hard enough time fishing the pylons in my boat let alone paddling at a constant speed and direction while dipping crabs off a line.
            It's a lot like patting your head and rubbing your belly....while doing some other random thing with your feet

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Hey Yakfish. You really got me thinking, so I came up with a prop idea that may work with my current Revo setup. If all works correctly I should be able to carry a prebaited snoodline in a bucket behind my seat and have it deploy almost automatically. I just have to test out a few ways to secure a bushel basket to the from of my revo. I have already purchased my supplies and I just need to put it together. When I test it out I will post some pics.

Comment

Hey Yakfish. You really got me thinking, so I came up with a prop idea that may work with my current Revo setup. If all works correctly I should be able to carry a prebaited snoodline in a bucket behind my seat and have it deploy almost automatically. I just have to test out a few ways to secure a bushel basket to the from of my revo. I have already purchased my supplies and I just need to put it together. When I test it out I will post some pics.
                Great MOC, I'd love to see what you came up with. If I remember, you had a couple of rod holders behind your seat. I wonder if you could angle them straight outboard and load one with a broom handle or something to that effect.

To secure the basket, I got a small diameter piece of pvc that fits in the mast holder. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the basket (biased toward one side where there is a basket handle) so that the pvc fits in it very tightly but I can still adjust the length so I can push it all the way inside the basket when I'm not in the yak. So I push the pvc through the bottom of the basket and into the mast holder which keeps it pretty much in place. A pair of bungees that wraps around the basket handles keeps the basket tightly in place. One set of bungees attaches to the front hatch bungees and the other set attaches to the rear hatch bungees.

This is a little difficult to describe so I've really got to get those pics up. It's been a busy weekend so I haven't had the chance. I'm anxious to see if you've come up with something different. Snood lines would be cool!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I already had the snoodline trotline from my canoe. It is 700 feet. I plan on making a floating bucket with holes to tether behind the kayak which will hold crabs. SurfDog made one that I saw in action. There would be no need for ice while I am out since the crabs would be in the bucket.

Comment

When I have been out handlining I used to keep my crabs in a basket in the water but last year I started to use a styrofoam cooler with about 1 inch of water in it. I never had a problem with my crabs and I had them in it for over 5 hours. I think god now I may just keep the styrofoam cooler in my front large hatch. I don't need a bushel, 20 holds us over for a bit. Hopefully it works

Comment

My goal would be to catch 2 dozen quality crab or 3 dozen for this to be a success. I may try a maiden voyage this evening.....weather pending....

Comment

I got to my launch site at 4:40pm and launched around 5pm. After a short peddle in my Hobie Revo to my test location, I began deploying my snood trotline. I prebaited the line and stored the baited line in a 5 gallon bucket that was just the right size to sit behind my seat in the Revo. The prop I made had curved tops to insure that the snoodline would not slip off while moving down the line. It also aided in deploying the line almost hands free. When deploying the line would go from the bucket through the prop's U shaped end. It worked great. I will try to post video later. Needless to say it was a very successful test. I quit just before 7pm which 1/2 bushel of crabs....YUM.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Did you have any issues with the line tangling as it came out of the bucket?

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                            Awesome! Did you have any issues with the line tangling as it came out of the bucket?
                            None....It came out as smooth as butter. I have been crabbing with a snood trotline for years from my canoe. I just adapted what I learned over the years to the Yak. Baiting the night before and having your bait in a bucket is the way to go it seems. I have a video that I will try to post eventually.

Comment

Very nice Martin. Whats the gas can for, a float? Bluemoon storage?
                              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

None....It came out as smooth as butter. I have been crabbing with a snood trotline for years from my canoe. I just adapted what I learned over the years to the Yak. Baiting the night before and having your bait in a bucket is the way to go it seems. I have a video that I will try to post eventually.
                                Where do you store the bucket overnight and keep the chicken fresh? I spent the first half hour dropping the line and baiting it so that I can keep the line on a reel. It takes another half hour to bring it in at the end of the day. I may have to adapt some of your strategy to save a little time.

Thanks for the update...oh, btw, what part of the bay were you crabbing? I will probably try the gunpowder this weekend.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X