Kayak Crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knot for trotline

Back when I was a teenager, my Dad and I used to run a trotline off our boat.

The night before, we'd bait the line w/ 3" sections of eel cut w/ an electric knife.

Eel is a little more flexible than chicken necks but I think the knot we'd use would work just the same.

We used to make an overhand loop and then pull the trailing end up through. In that we would insert the eel and then pull tight.

I've attached my best artist rendering showing the knot we used with chicken inserted.

Mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
      Sardine,
      Check out my pics showing the reel. I got this at Home Depot for a few bucks. I did not pre bait my line because I didn't want the huge mess, although it seems many people do pre bait the lines. I used the reel to set the line and then I used it like a winch to tow the kayak back in when I was done for the day. This kept the line nice and neat. I still want a fast way to tie the chicken necks on the line and I'm not satisfied with most methods I've seen (at least not for my needs). I see that they sell bait clips which are large glorified safety pins. They poke through the hole running the length of the bone so it wouldn't allow crabs to take the bait. I could also see these snapping onto the line really fast. The problem is that they may get costly, $.70/ea. I would need 100. I also thought about making snoods with a hangman's noose at the end of each of them...kind of ironic using a noose to tie on a chicken neck :-)

ah..thats a great idea. ill have to pick up one of those wheels. thanks
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
        Here's good link for general trotline information. This is essentially what I followed to create my setup.

http://www.bluecrab.info/crabbing/trotline.html

Disclaimer:
        This is my first time doing this and I've done some things wrong, making corrections and probably have plenty I can improve.

My overall report:
        Yes, it is entirely possible to run a trotline with a kayak. However, I believe you need a Hobie or other pedal powered kayak because there are too many things you need to do with your hands. After the first 5 minutes I was ready to call it quits because I ran into some difficulties. So if you do give this a shot, be prepared to persevere until you get it right. The whole idea of running a simple line with weights at the ends seems very simplistic, until you try doing it.

The setup:
        I outfitted the main line with outdoor twist ties to hold the bait. Brass clips were tied to each end. I bought a cord reel from Home Depot so I could neatly coil the main line and transport it out to where I will crab. I stowed it inside the bushel basket, and I secured the basket to the front of the Hobie using a piece of pvc that goes through the basket and into the sail mast hole in the Hobie. Bungees were then used to secure it from rotating. I carried two 5lb weights with lines tied to them and a brass clip at the other end in my milk crate. I carried the rest of the crabbing supplies inside the basket including the two lengths of line with chains, the pair of floats and the bag of chicken necks. I bought the floats at Bass Pro and this version looks like a large bullet with a hole through the center. I ran some line through the hole a few times so that I could have a location to clip the brass clips onto. My propstick was made from pvc that slid onto the outrigger arm on my kayak.

Setting up the trotline:
        Here's where I learned what I would do differently. I clipped the weight to the float first (I didn't want to lose it if I dropped it, making a very short day. I followed this philosophy for all things that could sink/float) and dropped the weight overboard. The float was still in my hands and I clipped the length of line with the chain to the float. Everything must be ready to deploy or you are in for a world of hurt. Holding the chain, I pedaled to make the line taut and clipped the main line to the chain. My main line was on a reel so as I pedaled, I held the reel and let it run out until I got to the other end when I clipped onto the chain, then to the float and then to the weight. At this point I have no bait on the line which is a little different than what traditional boat crabbers do. They bait up the night before, but I don't have a dedicated refrigerator to store stuff like this (and I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't be happy about it either). So I had to go back along the line and use the twist ties to attach the chicken necks. This was essentially a practice run with no bait. I learned that I'd screwed three things up here. One, I should have made the twist ties longer to make it easier to attach the bait and two, I had too much slack in the line. It's hard to describe, but basically you want the line to come out of the water at about a 45 degree angle. My line was doing that, just from the back of the yak....I was dragging the line. The third thing I learned is that I needed more than a 5lb weight at the end I was starting from. It wasn't holding the bottom. I happened to have my grappling anchor with me so I tied it on as well, solving my problem. To fix the line tension, I paddled to the far weight, picked it up and just pedaled until the line got tight. Remember, in the kayak, every bit of outside influence wants to pull you around, wind, current and pulling a line taut. So just think about that when trying these things. It's just a little difficult to maintain your bearing, but nothing you can't overcome. So I went back to baiting the line and found it was too taut, but because i kept the lighter weight at the other end, I gave a few hard tugs to give me some slack and finally my line was perfect. Next time I'll know exactly how to do it. I continued baiting the line with my short twist ties which took about half an hour to tie on 100 baits on my 500' line. This did not go as smoothly as I anticipated because of the short ties and the time it took to do this. By the end, I lost 90% of my bait due to crabs stealing it. I am now considering snoods, or even small rubber bands that I would secure to the necks the night before making it easy to clip onto the main line somehow. The necks get smaller as they soak so I'm looking for something with compliance to continue holding it securely. I'm also looking for speed since I am wasting time on the water without bait on.

Running the trotline:
        I positioned the yak near the float, scooped at it with my net and put it over the propstick. This seems to be the most difficult portion of running the line since there are so many forces trying the pull the kayak, the float, the weight and the chain. You will learn how to cope with this. The key is making sure the kayak is pointed in the right direction, I have the rudder set to point the kayak away from the line since the force of the line will try to turn you into it. There will be times when the front end drifts towards the line but I learned to use the dip net like a paddle on the non-line side to straighten me. You will eventually learn how to get your yak into equilibrium. From there you pedal slowly, keeping your hand on the rudder constantly monitoring your position relative the the line. In my other hand, I am holding the dip net bracing the long end under my arm. I left it in the water just under the line so I could get at the crabs faster. The very first crab I caught was the biggest of the day. And my netting skills were not very good the first time. I missed him, knocking him off the line and with a wild scoop I happened to get him as he was swimming away. In the process, I'd knocked the line off the propstick. I also need a propstick that is a little taller since I'd done this a few times causing me to start at the beginning of the line again.

Crabbing results:
        I made about 4-5 runs on the line before 90% my bait was gone (poor choice of tying them on) I know crabs took them because the longer I let the line soak, the more went missing. In this time I got 13 keepers and more throwbacks than I can count. The trotline is a very efficient method for catching crabs, although I would say ring traps that I'd used in the past yielded larger crabs, but since I lost so much bait it's hard to compare for the first time. Once everything was set up, it was pretty fun to scoop the crabs as they came up. There are tons on the line and sometimes 2 at a shot. When I got back to the marina a boat had pulled up with a bushel of crabs. They had traveled a little further than I and were using 4 sided traps, lots of them. I hope for the same results after I incorporate my lessons learned.

Photos:
        I've attached some photos showing the setup. The image showing the reel is how I pulled it in for the day...i just started reeling, removed any bait that remained and it pulled the kayak along until I got to the float. The last one is the catch that I'm steaming in my Weber smoker. In fact, I threw in some alder chunks to add a little smoke flavor and it was a grand slam. I took a video of the setup and I tried to take one running the line but stupid me left the video running sopping up all the memory on the card. I didn't know until I got home.

Hopefully this will be enough information for anyone wanting to do this or were afraid to try. It can be done with good success!
        does the standard handle of the net get in the way at all?

i want to start carrying a net all the time bc when i was out this past weekend, i could have caught a dozen at least from pillons and swimming around randomly. my thought was to make my own smaller version, diameter of net and lenght of handle.
        sigpic

Comment

Because I tucked the handle under my arm to support the weight I didn't have too much trouble with it getting in the way. Occasionally I would hit my milk crate behind me when I was struggling to get a crab that was about to fall off. The Outback has paddle stowage on each side of the yak. I stowed the net on one of these bungees when I wasn't on the line. Or you can just put it in one of the rod holders. I wouldn't try to modify a net because sometimes I did need the extra length of handle because you want to net them as far below the surface as possible. I saw several drop off before I could get them. You also need a nice diameter to scoop them as well. If you have a smaller diameter you'd probably miss a few...I missed a few just as is.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I just got out again this morning and the crabs are really nice now....much larger than earlier in the season and much fewer throw backs. I've worked out my issue of getting the baits on the line. I got some little clips that go through the center of the chicken neck. I didn't lose a single bait, and there was even a time when I was clipping them on where I could feel a nice sized fish tugging at the line. I've posted a pic of the clip and of the half bushel I pulled in.
            Attached Files

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

nice job! where did you get those clips?
              sigpic

Comment

awesome job! you can get them at bass pro.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Actually, I got the clips from my dad who owns a dry cleaning store. They are used to hold the orders together, but I thought they would work great for this since they are super cheap. They've already showng signs of rust after just one time and I suspect I'd only get 3-4 uses out of them before I have to trash them. They worked great and for a guy like me who baits the line that day I need something quick and easy. There are places that sell similar clips but they run about 70 cents a piece x 100 and I'm $70 deep in clips.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Crabs

I have used small traps in the past. I put broom sticks in my rod holders and run the broom sticks through the traps and stack them that way. In that manner I can get about 12 traps on the kayak. I have done very well that way. I have a theory about the traps. With the bait tied down, the larger crabs will run off the smaller crabs. So, if you wait alittle longer between checks, the larger the crabs you will catch. It seems to work. Just keeping large or jumbos, I can usually get about a half bushel in a few hours. I actually only need a few dozen for me and my wife, so its casual crabbing as compared to what I have done in the past on a boat.

The crabs will eat the bait fast. What I have done is to put small extension springs in the center of the bottom of the traps. These can be purchased at most hardware stores. They will rust but you get several seasons out of them. That way you can simply lift the spring and place the chicken neck under the spring. This can be adjusted for tension. This rig allows for easy baiting and rebaiting of the traps, from the start and as you go throughout the day. You always do better with fresher bait, as the fat from the chicken neck lays out a scent trail for the crabs. They have a great sensory system, just no brains.

I also keep my crabs in a cooler in the storage well behind me on the OK Big Game Prowler. You can't put the crabs directly on the ice, as it will kill them. So, I use two pieces of dry deck to lay over the ice. I dump the crabs from the trap into a small bucket then dump them into the cooler. The cool atmosphere in the cooler will keep them alive.

I use an electric BassYak motor to move along. However, I have paddled in the past. In between runs of the traps, while waiting, I usually fish, and have a beer. So waiting alittle longer has its benefits. It has been a good year for crabbing. However, there have been alot of small crabs. Hope they will keep the restrictions on the females. It seems to be working. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      I have used small traps in the past. I put broom sticks in my rod holders and run the broom sticks through the traps and stack them that way. In that manner I can get about 12 traps on the kayak. I have done very well that way. I have a theory about the traps. With the bait tied down, the larger crabs will run off the smaller crabs. So, if you wait alittle longer between checks, the larger the crabs you will catch. It seems to work. Just keeping large or jumbos, I can usually get about a half bushel in a few hours. I actually only need a few dozen for me and my wife, so its casual crabbing as compared to what I have done in the past on a boat.

The crabs will eat the bait fast. What I have done is to put small extension springs in the center of the bottom of the traps. These can be purchased at most hardware stores. They will rust but you get several seasons out of them. That way you can simply lift the spring and place the chicken neck under the spring. This can be adjusted for tension. This rig allows for easy baiting and rebaiting of the traps, from the start and as you go throughout the day. You always do better with fresher bait, as the fat from the chicken neck lays out a scent trail for the crabs. They have a great sensory system, just no brains.

I also keep my crabs in a cooler in the storage well behind me on the OK Big Game Prowler. You can't put the crabs directly on the ice, as it will kill them. So, I use two pieces of dry deck to lay over the ice. I dump the crabs from the trap into a small bucket then dump them into the cooler. The cool atmosphere in the cooler will keep them alive.

I use an electric BassYak motor to move along. However, I have paddled in the past. In between runs of the traps, while waiting, I usually fish, and have a beer. So waiting alittle longer has its benefits. It has been a good year for crabbing. However, there have been alot of small crabs. Hope they will keep the restrictions on the females. It seems to be working. Good luck!
                      Just a historical note: Trotlines were not always worked by motor boats. Boats were used with oars and at times crabbers would put their way along the trot line. Perhaps we should be looking to our past for some answers.

Comment

Thanks Dogfish. You're right about the past...this is why it feels good to be doing this kind of stuff today with primitive means. Well, not that kayaks today are primitive, but there's something very cool about just being by yourself figuring things out.

Also, I do seem to get larger crabs in traps, but right now I'm not getting very small crabs as was the case earlier in the season. Earlier in the season, I'd say 75% were throwbacks and maybe 25% were this past weekend. The other guys out there were suggesting in another 2-3 weeks there'd be very few throwbacks.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I have a question. is it legal to use kayak and crab traps to catch crabs? I am really interested in kayak crabbing. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by bayfishing View Post
                            I have a question. is it legal to use kayak and crab traps to catch crabs? I am really interested in kayak crabbing. Thanks in advance.
                            If you can carry the traps, there is no problem with that.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Traps

Originally posted by bayfishing View Post
                              Yes, you can crab with collapsible traps. The best way that I have found to carry them on your kayak is to use broom handles in the flush mount rod holders and stack them on the broom sticks. Otherwise, it can be a problem carrying the traps on a kayak. I can carry about 12 that way. It is actually fun crabbing from a kayak.

Comment

bump

Kokatat Pro Staff
                                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X