DIY: Slide Trax Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Slide Trax Mount

So I bought a Ram mount rod holder about two weeks ago and began looking for ways to mount it. I didn't want any holes in my yak so I turned to the Slide Trax. However the price of mounts were pricey, atleast 20-25 dollars, and I'm a broke college kid. I also didnt think the individual Screwball from Yakattack would hold a Rockfish on it. Below is a write-up on how to make a custom mounting plate for whatever you want, whether it be a Scotty, Ram, FF, WHATEVER. And I think I made mine for under 5 dollars!! I haven't had a monster fish on it yet but I am extremely confident in the mount. I picked up my entire Tarpon 160 up with the ONE Ram mounted on the rear track.

This is a PROTOTYPE and it is UNREFINED. With a little more time and a little more shine it will look professional

MATERIALS:
    1. 1 - Cutting Board (Took mine from my home used, probably 3/8" thick)
    2. 2 - 1/4" Square Nuts
    3. 4 - 1/4" Inside Diameter Fender Washers
    4. 2 - 1/4" x approx 1" SS bolts
    5. 4 - Size 8 (<1/4") SS bolts <<<This is for RAM MOUNT modify per your needs
    6. 4 - Size 8 Nuts <<<Again modify per needs

METHODS:
    1. Cut Cutting board to desired length and width. I used a Jigsaw but pretty much anything will work. I used a belt sander to round the edges roughly.
    *this is where the "time and shine" would increase looks 10 fold.

2. Place your mount on top of mounting plate and mark holes for drilling. I used the fender washers to help with even spacing.

3. Drill holes for bolts (size 8 in my case) I used a hand drill, but a press would be helpful.

I'll explain step 4 first then hit you with all the pics at once. I got this idea from looking at the manufactured mounts.

*NOTE: This step can be accomplished other ways, but I found this to be easiest and cleanest finished product.

4. Thread size 8 nuts onto a long bolt, or all thread, and heat the nut using a flame source (gas stove in my case). Once the nut is fairly hot guide the bolt into pre-drilled holes and press nut into bottom of mounting plate. Dunk in water to cool.

This is a pic of the size 8 nuts sunk into the mounting plates. They are flush and smooth with the bottom of the mounting plate. They slide smoothly, and will never scratch your yak. *again some time and effort will make this look very professional

5. Bolt down the mount of your choice to the mounting plate, and measure for the holes to attach to the Slide Trax. Drill holes and place 1/4" SS bolts into holes with 1/4" ID Fender Washers.

THAT COMPLETES THE MOUNTING PLATE!!!!

Now onto attaching it to the Slide Trax. I am using a VERY CRUDE method right now, it works extremely well, is extremely strong. HOWEVER it is challenging to adjust on the water IF YOU WANT TO SLIDE PAST A RIVET IN THE TRACK. The Square nut and washer will not fit over the rivet while screwed into the mounting plate. That being said here ya go.

Slide the 1/4" Inside Diameter round nut into the Slide Trax, it will fall into the bottom part of the track leave it there. Slide the 1/4" ID Fender Washer into the skinny slot in the upper part of the track, and center it over top of the square nut. Arrange in the position of your liking and bolt in your mounting plate with RAM mount. I had to grind down the 1/4" SS bolts so that I could fully tighten them without them bottoming out on the track.

Heres a Pic of how the square nut and washer will sit inside of the track

VIDEO OF INSTALLATION:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rv69...ature=youtu.be

Hope you liked it.

**DISCLAIMER I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOURSELF OR YOUR EQUIPMENT DUE TO THIS DIY**
    Last edited by MDFishin; 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM. Reason: ADDED VIDEO
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Nice! I like how you counter sunk the nuts. Be interested to see it mounted and hear how easy / hard it is to adjust on the water.

Chimo

Comment

Nice work! It is obvious that you have mechanical apptitude and ability and like to work with your hands.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks guys Ill try to make a video of me attaching, and moving it on the track. Hopefully I can find time between classes.
        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Thanks for the DIY. I like how you countersunk the nuts. So heating it up is all that's required? Where does the melted material go?
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Dude ........ THAT IS GENIUS !!!!!! ......... been trying to figure out how to get the nuts into a backer board and you've come up with a simple method ......... WOW ...... thanks for sharing ..........

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
              Where does the melted material go?
              It pushed up on top of the bolt (I sanded that off), and s lot dripped into the pre-drilled holes. This was actually a benefit because I did not use locking nuts. The excess plastic in the holes really helps to lock the bolt in place (All a lock nut is is a regular nut W/ nylon insert) And as long as the bolt is pretty not (NOT RED HOT) it will push very easily into the cutting board. It may depend on what the cutting board is made out of but I think most of them are pretty similar.

Originally posted by Memory Maker
              THAT IS GENIUS !!!!!!
              Thanks man, I was extremely happy with results and time spent making it.
              -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

I added a video today of the installation process on the Slide Trax!
                -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for the info and vid. I think I read somewhere that the bolts that are used to attach toilets to the floor fit in the SlideTrax, but I haven't verified that. They're thin and rectangular and made of brass, I think. Here's one I found online:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...s--632905.aspx

That way, you might be able to use wing nuts on the top so you don't have to carry around the allen wrench.
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Very cool. Why do "broke college kids" always come up with the best ideas?
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                      Very cool. Thanks for the info and vid. I think I read somewhere that the bolts that are used to attach toilets to the floor fit in the SlideTrax, but I haven't verified that. They're thin and rectangular and made of brass, I think. Here's one I found online:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...s--632905.aspx

That way, you might be able to use wing nuts on the top so you don't have to carry around the allen wrench.
                      Another good idea added to an already good idea.

BTW, Bill, did you read my post on the Magtouch?
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                        Very cool. Why do "broke college kids" always come up with the best ideas?
                        Haha thats so true, sometimes the best inventions come out of the roughest situations. Need breeds innovation, I think I've heard that somewhere before.

ictalarus those brass bolts are awesome!!! I'll look into those real soon. I assume Home Depot probably has them?
                        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by MDFishin View Post
                          ictalarus those brass bolts are awesome!!! I'll look into those real soon. I assume Home Depot probably has them?
                          Can't take credit for this one. I think Rick (OBX_RAT) suggested it to me. I had forgotten about it until now. If Home Depot doesn't have them, Ace Hardware or TruValue should since they usually carry more unusual stuff.
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Ill swing by Ace today, I think the only problem I foresee is that the base of the bolts are rounded. The rounded end will turn in the track while trying to tighten down, making for not so tight connection. However I'm sure this can be re-enginneered slightly to work prefect.
                            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Homemade slide Trax nuts. Then just use a bolt cutter and trim the bolts to length. I used 10-32 bolts as 1/4-20's are a Beyatch to cut.

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                              X