No announcement yet.

DIY: Slide Trax Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those look awesome archeryrob, my only concern is how over tightening and stripping out the soft aluminun. Or just the constant adjusting wearing down the thread. Have you noticed that the tapped holes are easily stripped?? and maybe 1/4 with course threads would help with that?
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

No, they hold up fine. I have had people before say they would use stainless for strength. The Trac is only extruded aluminum it self and would probably bend open before the thread in the nut failed. You also have to reason. The entire trax is rivets to a, wait for it, .. Plastic kayak.

I had my dash mounted with these and dropped my commander. The screws ripped out of the dashboard risers and the slide trax and nuts where never even phased. They are pretty tough!

The Dashboard mounted
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Hey guys, I found this thread while searching the internet for DIY trax mounts and it is awesome! Thanks for all of the pictures, it really helped with my own mods. I had no problem with the build until I tried to make my own aluminum Trax nuts. I got them all cut out to size, but I wasn't sure how you guys thread the things so the bolts would bite? I don't know if anyone is still reading this old thread, but thanks in advance for any tips on that last step.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUSE View Post
          Hey guys, I found this thread while searching the internet for DIY trax mounts and it is awesome! Thanks for all of the pictures, it really helped with my own mods. I had no problem with the build until I tried to make my own aluminum Trax nuts. I got them all cut out to size, but I wasn't sure how you guys thread the things so the bolts would bite? I don't know if anyone is still reading this old thread, but thanks in advance for any tips on that last step.
          When I made mine I just used a 1/4-20 tap and bought 1/4-20 ss thumb screws to match so that I could move the mount on the water if needed.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

McMaster Carr sells t nuts for 80/20 type extrusions.

Link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#extrusion-nuts/=o2pisg

I took measurements of the slide trax I have on my Tarpon 140, and part number 47065T215 looks like a direct drop in without any mods, provided you're OK with a 5/16 fastener.

If you need the 1/4 in fastener, the 47065T142 will work once you grind it to an overall length of 3/4 inch.

They run about $2.50 per pack of 4. At that price it's not worth my time to fabricate them.
            Last edited by Joker; 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM. Reason: Revised link

Comment

Joker, thanks for the link dude! I made 6 aluminum bolts and it was a real pain in the butt...I ordered 3 of those packs just in case mine corrode. I might just strip mine down and use them as spacers

Thanks again

Comment

Awesome Turtle135
                I may end up ordering those since they are stainless, but I already ordered the ones from Joker's link. Just out of curiosity, what are you using that T-shaped pvc for on your slide trax?

nvm, I think you deleted your reply
                Last edited by HOUSE; 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I went in to add something and I inadvertently deleted that post. Did you get the part numbers? I can pull them up again.

The T-Shaped PVC holds the arm for my transducer.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Here are those McMaster-Carr part numbers that I deleted

98697A540 fits the Yakattack GearTrac
                    98697A550 fits the Wilderness Systems SlideTrax

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Here is a template I drew in AutoCAD for anyone wanting to do this but wanting some help.

[edit] deleted the link. The PDF did not print to the correct size. I will see if I can get it to work again.
                      Last edited by archeryrob; 02-08-2014, 01:25 PM.
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Has anyone tried any of the woodworking style T tracks, nuts, bolts or accesories? Examples can be seen here. http://www.woodpeck.com/wpttrack.html
                        They also have the rectangular nuts that fit the track. They all take standard 1/4' hex head. The prices seem a little better than the kayak specific stuff that I have seen and bolts and nuts would be more readily available. Haven't got to the point in rigging any tracks but would be nice to know if it is another viable option. Added a couple pictures.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                          Has anyone tried any of the woodworking style T tracks, nuts, bolts or accesories? Examples can be seen here. http://www.woodpeck.com/wpttrack.html
                          They also have the rectangular nuts that fit the track. They all take standard 1/4' hex head. The prices seem a little better than the kayak specific stuff that I have seen and bolts and nuts would be more readily available. Haven't got to the point in rigging any tracks but would be nice to know if it is another viable option. Added a couple pictures.
                          I wondered about that myself. I ended up using the gear track and it seems to be much heavier construction than the woodworking variety I picked up several years ago at a woodworking show. That said, I think it would work fine for lighter duty work but I'd be a little nervous using it for trolling.
                          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Make sure they are not made of regular steel such that they would rust. Stainless steel or aluminum should be OK.

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

OK, I changed the file to show dimensions so you can verify them after printing. Adobe does and "AutoFit" on documents when printing. When the print menu pops up Make sure you select print "Actual size". The file worked before, if you download it, you just need to make sure it prints the correct size!

The Slide Trax template

Comment

Working...
                              X