Best spinning reels on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backwater View Post
    I also checked out a CI4 at bass pro today that thing was really light it almost didn't feel heavy enough for me I like to be able to feel the weight a bit. I guess after fishing 12 hrs or so casting you would be glad to have a light reel like that though. I am really interested in the Fin-nor inshore based off liking the ahab models of the past but they didn't have one for me to check out. Shimano and Penn have always done me good in the past so I will probably stick to what I know. I did check out the Penn Battle and it had a really nice feel, very smooth reel. Just wonder how smooth they stay after a day getting sprayed by salt water on a kayak.
    The most I've fished on a yak was 10 hrs straight. I usually average 6 hours on the water. Anyway, after maneuvering a while on the water trying to hold position around rocks and pilings while holding the rod/reel with one hand, rod/reel lightness becomes very important. For me, I like rods that are 5 ounces or less. I like reels that are 9 ounces or less. My lightest baitcaster reel is 7 1/2 ounces.

I thought about the Shimano C4I spinner, an awesome reel. If you buy something like that, it's almost like you're going to achieve fishing Nirvana. Not only will you catch fish, you will get quite an enjoyable experience just having it in your hands and "bonding" with it. There's "something" about using quality precision machinery. Using expensive gear is not just about catching fish.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Why not just get a Saltiga?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
        Why not just get a Saltiga?
        ...or a Van Staal...or....... That's a lot of "bonding" and Nirvana....lol
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
          I have a Sedona for my ultralight, and I think the $20 more for the Sahara might be worth it. The Sahara now has a lubrication port so you don't have to take it apart to lube it. The Sedona doesn't. The lube port buys me extra time between maintenance events. For some reason, my reels always seem to need maintenance more frequently than other people's despite my rinsing them after every trip. I disassembled, lubed, and reassembled spinning reels without a problem lots of times in the past, but the last time I did it to an old Sahara, I had to send it back to Shimano because it was still really rough. That makes me reluctant to take the Sedona apart.

I also like the Tec-Spec rods. I haven't bought one yet, but I always look at them when I go to Dick's. They're very similar to the Cabela's Prodigy rod I have, which is a pretty nice rod.
          Both the Sedona and Sahara are great reels I use both but always seem to buy more Sahara's tho
          '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
          '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
          Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Originally posted by OBX_RAT View Post
            Both the Sedona and Sahara are great reels I use both but always seem to buy more Sahara's tho
            I would second the Sahara and Sedona, adding the Saros as well. I use all three and all perform well.

Comment

I use an Okuma reel that I've had for probably 5+ years now combined with a light action Ugly Stik. It was originally for freshwater bass fishing, but it works just as well in saltwater. I've caught nice size Stripers on it, even a few bluefish and croakers. You get a great fight on light tackle like that.
              2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

This year (over the winter) I put together two new spinning outfits- both Pflueger Supremes, an 8040 and a 8225 UL. The 8040 went on my new Albright 7'6" travel rod and is loaded with 15 #braid...the 8225 is on a 6' Cabela's Fish Eagle 4-6 # ultra light rod. (I fished with both outfits yesterday evening at Mosquito Lagoon) The reels are made of light weight magnesium and are very light in the hand- smooth as silk with all the ball bearings, and the drag is excellent- I hooked a ray of fifty odd pounds on a live pin fish on the bottom and after a tussle landed and released him...the drag was easy to adjust and was smooth and powerful...no tarpon, but...always next time. The travel rods work beautifully...excellent action- couldn't be happier. Big sign posted at the parking area said it all- Warning- large alligators- wade fishing dangerous- do so at your own risk.

The two Pfluegers are well built, solid reels that are right at your price range- give them a look- I like mine.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                X