Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best spinning reels on a budget

+1 on the Avengers... I also like Cabela's Tournament ZX reels Old Version. This is the New Version.
    They are made by Daiwa... sweet reels and the usually go on sale for $50 or so every few months.

MYT

I love my Stadic 2500FI but have been thinking about picking up one of the sedona models for under $60 to try.

Almost picked up a stradic CI4 today but just cant justify that price.

I looked around the North Point flea market today and almost picked up a Diawa Crossfire for $20. Felt really good but a little heavier than I like.

I have a SC Mojo Bass rod for my curado baitcaster but when I bought my stradic at Dicks Sporting goods a guy there talked me into trying a Field & stream rod. Its a field & Stream Tec Spec rod and I like as much as the mojo bass. Only found at Dicks Sporting Goods. Very sensitive, balanced well and light and they are only $59. I'm gonna pick up 2 more LTJ setups and the E-Tec rods will be my choice again. By the way....I snapped the tip off the mojo but the Tec Spec is still going strong. Great rod for the money IMO.

They have a 6'8" medium extra fast version and a 6'6" medium fast version.
    Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 03-11-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

I also checked out a CI4 at bass pro today that thing was really light it almost didn't feel heavy enough for me I like to be able to feel the weight a bit. I guess after fishing 12 hrs or so casting you would be glad to have a light reel like that though. I am really interested in the Fin-nor inshore based off liking the ahab models of the past but they didn't have one for me to check out. Shimano and Penn have always done me good in the past so I will probably stick to what I know. I did check out the Penn Battle and it had a really nice feel, very smooth reel. Just wonder how smooth they stay after a day getting sprayed by salt water on a kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    I also checked out a CI4 at bass pro today that thing was really light it almost didn't feel heavy enough for me I like to be able to feel the weight a bit. I guess after fishing 12 hrs or so casting you would be glad to have a light reel like that though. I am really interested in the Fin-nor inshore based off liking the ahab models of the past but they didn't have one for me to check out. Shimano and Penn have always done me good in the past so I will probably stick to what I know. I did check out the Penn Battle and it had a really nice feel, very smooth reel. Just wonder how smooth they stay after a day getting sprayed by salt water on a kayak.
    I never thought weight would be an issue, but after paddling in the wind yesterday, I really got tired of casting and reeling with one of my heavier spinning outfits, which wasn't really that heavy at all. This was actually one of my go-to setups that I always use from shore and from my kayak. It was an old medium action 6' spinning rod with a small 2000 size bass pro brand spinning reel I got for like 30 bucks 2 years ago. It was not heavy duty gear...

I recently bought a carbonlite reel matched with an UL St. Croix rod. Both components are really light, and I had no problem casting and reeling that one. If there's any chance you'll be paddling a lot, and not just soaking bait, I recommend going with lighter gear.

I have a Sedona for my ultralight, and I think the $20 more for the Sahara might be worth it. The Sahara now has a lubrication port so you don't have to take it apart to lube it. The Sedona doesn't. The lube port buys me extra time between maintenance events. For some reason, my reels always seem to need maintenance more frequently than other people's despite my rinsing them after every trip. I disassembled, lubed, and reassembled spinning reels without a problem lots of times in the past, but the last time I did it to an old Sahara, I had to send it back to Shimano because it was still really rough. That makes me reluctant to take the Sedona apart.

I also like the Tec-Spec rods. I haven't bought one yet, but I always look at them when I go to Dick's. They're very similar to the Cabela's Prodigy rod I have, which is a pretty nice rod.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    The most I've fished on a yak was 10 hrs straight. I usually average 6 hours on the water. Anyway, after maneuvering a while on the water trying to hold position around rocks and pilings while holding the rod/reel with one hand, rod/reel lightness becomes very important. For me, I like rods that are 5 ounces or less. I like reels that are 9 ounces or less. My lightest baitcaster reel is 7 1/2 ounces.

I thought about the Shimano C4I spinner, an awesome reel. If you buy something like that, it's almost like you're going to achieve fishing Nirvana. Not only will you catch fish, you will get quite an enjoyable experience just having it in your hands and "bonding" with it. There's "something" about using quality precision machinery. Using expensive gear is not just about catching fish.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Why not just get a Saltiga?
    Ryan
    Olive 2012 Hobie Outback Evolve Torqeedo
    Wildy Tarpon 100
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
    Why not just get a Saltiga?
    ...or a Van Staal...or....... That's a lot of "bonding" and Nirvana....lol
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Quote Originally Posted by ictalurus View Post
    I have a Sedona for my ultralight, and I think the $20 more for the Sahara might be worth it. The Sahara now has a lubrication port so you don't have to take it apart to lube it. The Sedona doesn't. The lube port buys me extra time between maintenance events. For some reason, my reels always seem to need maintenance more frequently than other people's despite my rinsing them after every trip. I disassembled, lubed, and reassembled spinning reels without a problem lots of times in the past, but the last time I did it to an old Sahara, I had to send it back to Shimano because it was still really rough. That makes me reluctant to take the Sedona apart.

I also like the Tec-Spec rods. I haven't bought one yet, but I always look at them when I go to Dick's. They're very similar to the Cabela's Prodigy rod I have, which is a pretty nice rod.
    Both the Sedona and Sahara are great reels I use both but always seem to buy more Sahara's tho
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Quote Originally Posted by OBX_RAT View Post
    Both the Sedona and Sahara are great reels I use both but always seem to buy more Sahara's tho
    I would second the Sahara and Sedona, adding the Saros as well. I use all three and all perform well.