Best spinning reels on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best spinning reels on a budget

What are some of you guys using for spinning reels under or around the $100-150 range?

I have used my Penn SSG's a lot but want something a little smoother and the post about bait casters has me thinking about some new set ups for this year. I'm only going to invest about $250 in rods/reels for this season and I need a new stick for my Calcutta 400B. On a side note what are some of the better rods in the $60 or so dollar range. I have always stood by my ugly stiks because they are so indestructible and I've never broken one. Would love a St. Croix but that would cut into my budget for a spinning reel and ugly stik lite inshore 7' MH which is what I have in mind.

How about the newer fin-nor inshore reels? Wonder how they would stand up to salt.
    Last edited by Backwater; 03-11-2012, 01:38 AM.

diawa procon
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

penn battle. great reel for $100.

Comment

I like my Penn Conquer and Shimano Stradic, both can be had for under $150 when on sale. For very light stuff, I use Shimano Symmetre, but there are better reels out there. My Penn Sargus does well too.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

You can spend as much as you want on a reel. Personally one of my favorites is the Shimano Spirex w/ rear drag. Costs around $60 and is a little strange looking with the double handle, but it has features you can't find elsewhere. As far as I know the spirex is the only reel that still boasts a self centering bail, which means the rotor backs up to put the line in casting position. Add the only remaining trigger and you have a one handed operation. Adds a lot of casts to a fishing day.

Comment

Shimano Sahara ~$80. Nice used ones can be had for less on eBay.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I buy only Shimano Stradics these days. Shimano introduced their new FJ series of Stradics last year, meaning that perfectly good FI inventory in stores is often reduced. They can be found for under $150 with a minimal amount of looking online or visiting local tackle shops and asking for discount.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

i have penns and shimano reels but for the money i think okuma spinning reels offer the best bang for the buck. i like the bait feeder models they are very versatile

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                  i have penns and shimano reels but for the money i think okuma spinning reels offer the best bang for the buck. i like the bait feeder models they are very versatile
                  Agreed, the Okuma Avenger models a solid, and they come in bait feeder or regular.

The Penn Fierce is a sweet mid range reel too

Comment

I usually buy midrange daiwa or shimano spinning reels, but I bought a okuma trio last year and I'm pretty impressed with it for the cost,
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

+1 on the Avengers... I also like Cabela's Tournament ZX reels Old Version. This is the New Version.
                      They are made by Daiwa... sweet reels and the usually go on sale for $50 or so every few months.

MYT

Comment

I love my Stadic 2500FI but have been thinking about picking up one of the sedona models for under $60 to try.

Almost picked up a stradic CI4 today but just cant justify that price.

I looked around the North Point flea market today and almost picked up a Diawa Crossfire for $20. Felt really good but a little heavier than I like.

I have a SC Mojo Bass rod for my curado baitcaster but when I bought my stradic at Dicks Sporting goods a guy there talked me into trying a Field & stream rod. Its a field & Stream Tec Spec rod and I like as much as the mojo bass. Only found at Dicks Sporting Goods. Very sensitive, balanced well and light and they are only $59. I'm gonna pick up 2 more LTJ setups and the E-Tec rods will be my choice again. By the way....I snapped the tip off the mojo but the Tec Spec is still going strong. Great rod for the money IMO.

They have a 6'8" medium extra fast version and a 6'6" medium fast version.
                        Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 03-11-2012, 10:12 PM.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I also checked out a CI4 at bass pro today that thing was really light it almost didn't feel heavy enough for me I like to be able to feel the weight a bit. I guess after fishing 12 hrs or so casting you would be glad to have a light reel like that though. I am really interested in the Fin-nor inshore based off liking the ahab models of the past but they didn't have one for me to check out. Shimano and Penn have always done me good in the past so I will probably stick to what I know. I did check out the Penn Battle and it had a really nice feel, very smooth reel. Just wonder how smooth they stay after a day getting sprayed by salt water on a kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwater View Post
                            I also checked out a CI4 at bass pro today that thing was really light it almost didn't feel heavy enough for me I like to be able to feel the weight a bit. I guess after fishing 12 hrs or so casting you would be glad to have a light reel like that though. I am really interested in the Fin-nor inshore based off liking the ahab models of the past but they didn't have one for me to check out. Shimano and Penn have always done me good in the past so I will probably stick to what I know. I did check out the Penn Battle and it had a really nice feel, very smooth reel. Just wonder how smooth they stay after a day getting sprayed by salt water on a kayak.
                            I never thought weight would be an issue, but after paddling in the wind yesterday, I really got tired of casting and reeling with one of my heavier spinning outfits, which wasn't really that heavy at all. This was actually one of my go-to setups that I always use from shore and from my kayak. It was an old medium action 6' spinning rod with a small 2000 size bass pro brand spinning reel I got for like 30 bucks 2 years ago. It was not heavy duty gear...

I recently bought a carbonlite reel matched with an UL St. Croix rod. Both components are really light, and I had no problem casting and reeling that one. If there's any chance you'll be paddling a lot, and not just soaking bait, I recommend going with lighter gear.
                            Sun Fishin'

Comment

I have a Sedona for my ultralight, and I think the $20 more for the Sahara might be worth it. The Sahara now has a lubrication port so you don't have to take it apart to lube it. The Sedona doesn't. The lube port buys me extra time between maintenance events. For some reason, my reels always seem to need maintenance more frequently than other people's despite my rinsing them after every trip. I disassembled, lubed, and reassembled spinning reels without a problem lots of times in the past, but the last time I did it to an old Sahara, I had to send it back to Shimano because it was still really rough. That makes me reluctant to take the Sedona apart.

I also like the Tec-Spec rods. I haven't bought one yet, but I always look at them when I go to Dick's. They're very similar to the Cabela's Prodigy rod I have, which is a pretty nice rod.
                              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X