Rod and rod holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod and rod holders

Ok more novice questions. I bought some scotty rod holders and damn I wish I went to bass pro and bought their brand or even walmarts version. I would have saved a tone of cash. Anyway the scotty holders look top quality maybe you get what you pay for. I bought 2 of them...so I'm really in the hole.
    I have a tiger casting rod and it seems to me its a struggle to get the rod out of the holder. It's like the handle is too fat for the holder and the rods seem too long for the holder, it hits the kayak unless it's at some crazy direction that I would not be fishing from. So what kind of rod do I need to fit in these holders or do I need to elevate the holders on a mount as apposed to a flush mount? Or is that just the way it is and I just have to deal with it? I'm not mounting anything on my kayak till I'm sure I'm not going to be drilling useless holes.

what brand kayak do you have? are you mounting these on the front the yak?
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I figured it out

I have the trophy 126 sit in kayak. I live and Richmond and will mostly be fishing the James River. I'm going to get one to keep at my brothers place on the Bay. I'm just going to mount them toward the front. They will not get in the way and I will be able to grab the rod with ease.

Comment

I can't quite picture what you are talking about so I would suggest looking around here and other sites for pictures of other rigs. Mounting the Scotty holders is pretty standard and you can easily see how to do it properly from other pictures. I have 14 rods of all different sizes and never had a problem with Scotty holders. The nice thing about Scotty is that they sell a lot of accessories that fit their mounts like cup holders and moutning bars. Also, a 1/2 inch PVC pipe fits perfectly. I used a flush mount and 4 foot 1/2 inch PVC to make my flag.

Comment

Make sure if you're putting it up front that it doesn't get in the way of your paddle stroke!

You'll probably have them angled facing out so that your rods can lay almost flat and troll outside of your paddle stroke. You can also get extenders to raise them up off your deck to accommodate longer rod buts. If you're using a spinning rod in the baitcaster version, try flipping it so the reel is facing up, it will go in the holder farther.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Try looking at ram rod holders. When I had my tarpon I had a Scotty rod holder in the front and rod would always get in my. I bought a ram holder for my hobie and it fits all rods and doesn't get in the way. The only downfall is that they are more expensive. Just another option.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Thank..I got it worked out

As far as the rod holders go, I do have the trolling rod holders already that seem fine. I did make sure they are not in the way of my paddle stroke also. My only real issue is the foam handle of the tiger rod is a hair bigger than the top of the rod holder and there will be a moment of friction getting it out when the fish strikes. In other words I will have to fight the rod out of the handle before fighting the fish. If I took the foam off the handle there would be no issue. I have custom rods I can use with no foam just nylon cord. I'm good to go.

Thanks

Comment

Temp setup

Well before I drill any holes I want to make sure they are where I want them to be. I took alot of Goop and glued the mounts to my kayak. I can pick the kayak up with just the rod mounts...if this is where I like them I will mount them with hardware....if not...then I have to figure out how to get them off....

Comment

Working...
                X