No announcement yet.

Key West, Memorial Day Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice wanye, that pier is pretty cool, anything you want there. snook tarpon, sharks. my wife hooked a tarpon there but the hook pulled out as i was pulling it up, man was she pissed i didnt know i married a sailor heading back in Nov. cant wait

did you find the hobie dealer on stock isl.?

Comment

Surf, saw a snook swimming around and a small shark come over the rail. Didn't look the hobie dealer up but rented a cobra explorer today. One nice grouper, a 12" cuda and one other tiny grouper. Missed a bunch of bites :/ and had what I think was a big cuda slice a bait up right next to the yak. Getting some sleep and an early start in the morning

Comment

Caught a couple Spanish Mac's, another small cuda and what might have been a small rudder fish this morning! Had to get off the water to get ready for a wedding but I'm going to hit it hard the next couple days missing all kinds of bites on fluke style baits on jig heads..... Think I need a stinger hook

Comment

nice, a 1/8 to 1/4 jig head and a piece of meat will catch almost anything there. yellow tail and jacks will hit the pier in the mornings and tear up the thread fins

Comment

So it was quite the trip Din't catch anything huge but got a few new species and had alot of fun figuring it out on my own. New species for me while I was there Tarpon, spanish mackerel, red and goliath grouper, mangrove snapper (I think), barracuda, and something I haven't identified. Also caught a bunch of baby hogfish and some pinfish. Missed or lost a couple big hits One broke the bill off my xrap! Another popped 20lb braid on the hookset. Looking forward to the next time whenever that happens! And staying away from the cobra explorer kayak

Spanish Mac trolling x-raps

Baby Goliath Grouper

Red Grouper ( I think )

My biggest Barracuda

Not sure what this is

one of the sunsets

Comment

looks like a real good trip!! the one looks more like a snowy grouper than a goliath. heading back in november cant wait. might take a 2 day tortuga fishing trip this time

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Wayne.
                2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Nice picture awesome job on the new species! I think the mystery fish might be some kind of a wrasse?
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                    looks like a real good trip!! the one looks more like a snowy grouper than a goliath. heading back in november cant wait. might take a 2 day tortuga fishing trip this time
                    Never even heard of a snowy grouper... Googled it a second ago and it looks like snowy's usually have just spots instead of the blotches All I know is it was fun to catch on my 6'6" spinning rod Between him, the tarpon and the salt I now have one jacked up spinning reel though!

Shady, Just googled wrasse. Some of them look similar, others don't. I really don't have a clue.

Comment

yeah after looking at the grouper logs its more like a gag grouper. they all make a good sandwich

Comment

I am no expert on grouper speciation. I caught several small (~12") gag groupers from a pier in Sarasota in April 2011. Here are the photos. Maybe they will help your ID.
                        Attached Files
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                        X