Gear reviews- Ultimate Bait Tank- travel rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear reviews- Ultimate Bait Tank- travel rods

OK_ Promised Redfish I would give objective reviews of the new gear I have recently purchased for kayak fishing-

Charkbait Explorer 20# model conventional three-piece 7'6" travel rod- fished with this rod yesterday on the Mattawoman Creek for catfish- I figured that would give me an idea of flex and strength of the connections as well as the action of the rod- I have to say this is a handsome rod- graphite has a nice cross hatch pattern when viewed under direct sunlight and the wraps and under wraps are nice, tight and the contrast color scheme is attractive- lots of high quality guides spaced exactly right keeps the line off the blank no matter how severe the bend is and I bent this rod a lot yesterday- under a heavy load the rod has lots of backbone and does not seem the least bit fragile or something that needs babying- have to give this rod five stars-

Albright 7' four piece "medium" action spinning travel rod- connections go together securely, no looseness whatsoever, no indication it would come apart casting or fighting a fish- I used it casting lures and jigging- I would recommend you go with a lighter version as this is, in my opinion, a heavy action rod suited for heavier lines and lures than advertised. Overall, a tough durable rod with predictable loading and quality materials. Four stars- only because it isn't as advertised- stiff action-

Pflueger Supreme spinning reels- 8040 and 8225 light weight magnesium metal models- the 8225 is an UL model I have 4 pound test Berkley superlline on- I used it for tossing 1/8 oz swim shads and then rigged up a slip cork minnow rig- I caught a four pound catfish on it- smooth drag, slick action, nice reel- 5 stars

8040- Holds a lot of 15# power pro braid- I think it would be a great medium-duty surf fishing reel on an 11-12 foot medium action rod- -otherwise basically the same observations as the 8225 only in a larger reel- still it is a nice light weight reel with ten CRBB and one roller bearing- slick drag, smooth as butter- 5 stars

Ultimate Bait tank- first use- I stopped at Fred's sports in Waldorf and picked up two dozen medium minnows- put the bait tank in the tank well of my Outback and hung the hose and pump over the left side of the yak- I charged up the six volt battery before the trip so I had a full charge- electric switch is perfectly located and is well designed- tank hold slightly more than four gallons of water and is compact yet plenty big for medium to large baitfish- carrying just two dozen minnows seems a lot like overkill- like hunting squirrels with a .416 Rigby...but I digress- the tank worked perfectly- just exactly as advertised- 5 stars- highly recommend- only down side is the price-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-19-2012, 10:37 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Thanks for the review Ron! Im going to see how much stuff people buy at the flea market and maybe pick up on of those charkbait rods.

Glad to hear you're happy with the new gear!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice REVIEW! Glad you happy with your new stuff!

Comment

Working...
      X