Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak Saddle Bags

Quote Originally Posted by ictalurus View Post
    Maybe something like this is what you're looking for?

http://www.precision-pak.com/fishing...%20With%20Flap

Mike (Chexone) has one, and it's pretty nice.
    Yeah I like it. It holds all my stuff... including rod holders, fishfinder and battery when transporting. There are velcro pockets on 3 sides which is nice, but good luck trying to get to the back pocket when you're on the yak (I guess you could put the rod holders towards the back so that pocket is up front though)

I like the idea of saddle bags, but there isn't much clearance there... we ride pretty low.

Let's make some and see.

Last edited by chex; 02-19-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Photo
    Mike S.
    Hobie Revo 11 & Oasis
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers :: Tournament Winners are posted.
    Mojo ♠ Kayak Fishing Dog

I don't own a kayak yet, but read the forum and am saving to get one, but thought maybe this could be of some help and/or stem some ideas.

You could probably modify one of these "bucket jockeys" from HD (that are like $8) to fit the crate to provide pouches and storage? Just an idea...

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...ey-132438.html

Quote Originally Posted by ictalurus View Post
    Maybe something like this is what you're looking for?

http://www.precision-pak.com/fishing...%20With%20Flap

Mike (Chexone) has one, and it's pretty nice.
    I actually have a precision pak just like it and it's awesome. It's loaded with all my fishing supplies and tackle. I run into an issue when I want to spread out and not keep turning behind me for stuff. Thanks for the link.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author

2011 Ivory Dune Outback
    White Marsh, MD
    Alan

The fact is turning around in a kayak to get most anything out of the tank well is some what of a chore- you have to sit side saddle to do it safely without danger of turtling your yak unless you have four foot long arms and are ambidextrous- that is why most of us carry a small essentials bag or small plastic box of those things we use the most up front in a mesh holder in the cockpit or in a place under our middle hatch. That is why I have gotten to the point of rigging up all my rods with the setup I plan to fish most of the day before I ever leave the launch. I normally carry four rods but i only fish with one or two if I am trolling. If my main rod isn't getting hits, I switch out to another rod I have already rigged. Keeping your head in the centerline of the yak keeps the yak balanced and upright- leaning out gets you wet- all over.
    "Ugly Duckling" Moss Green Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I made some saddle bags .......... Tackle binders with Velcro sewn to the handles. That way I can Velcro them to the rails on the PA and get to any tackle qiuckly without turning around ........ and I can keep tackle for different types of fishing bagged and ready. Just have to grab the right bag and put it into the binder.

im going to look at a main cooler with rod and net holder and light attachments to it maybe smaller coolers bolted on each side for balanceand additional room for the longer times out. and a smaller set up for the times base camp isnt to far off. or one bolted to the back, might rig it so the bolts are a quick removal type, cleavis pin with washers? kmart and wallmart have a lot of different size coolers. on a seperate note might add a small roof canopy that slips into the rod holders.

Sounds like you have some cool ideas for that new boat! Welcome to the forum!
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers Co-Founder - www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com
    Hobie Local Kayak Fishing Team - Backyard Boats, MD
    Interstate Kayak Fishing -
    http://interstatekf.blogspot.com/

its cb's old boat, spent weekend looking at work so no work done maybe this week, will attach pics once i get started. havent saltwater kayaked yet, so looking forward to fishing seasons, setups etc. am going to try to make swap meet on the 3rd.