Kayak Saddle Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Saddle Bags

As I was fishing yesterday I was thinking that I wish I had more storage, even on the Outback. The front hatch liner was filled with fish and the back held my crate, rod holders, PFD and soft cooler for lunch. It was crowded back there.

Then I thought it'd be cool to have a pair (or even just one) saddle bag that hangs off the side, elevated from the water. It'd be a great place to store lunch, pliers, lures, anchor with line or anything that you're afraid to knock off the deck of the kayak.

I couldn't find anything like this. Has anyone else?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

If you ran out of storage on the outback, you would hate the revo. lol.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I have never seen saddle bags for kayaks. I could envision a homemade rig that employed a small outrigger on one or both sides. The outrigger could support a bin or bag (something like a sidecar for a motorcycle). The outriggers would need to be far enough astern so they did not interfere with paddling or bringing in fish to boatside.

There is an opportunity for an entrepreneur. Of course, in my paddle-driven Manta Ray 14, I have plenty of space in the cockpit and rear hatch so that I don't need extra storage . I never even use the front hatchway into the hull.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Could you mount bags to the sides of your crate?
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I use Aquaskinz bags, one is a small plug bag and the other is more of a pouch. The pouch gets more use and I just strap it to my seat straps. There is a bungee on my crate that I can use to strap the plug bag on. It works well.

Here are the links - http://aquaskinz.com/index.php5?mode...=3&pid=4&alt=1 & http://aquaskinz.com/index.php5?mode...=2&pid=8&alt=1

When I go to a place I fish often like the bay bridge, the pouch is all I bring. Bkds, extra jigheads, spike it, t&b rig with fishbites, a couple circle hooks, and some pilers all fit in there.
          Last edited by Redfish12; 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Fanny Pack time
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
              Could you mount bags to the sides of your crate?
              That's a cool idea. I have a storage bag that fits around the crate and has storage on each side of the crate, but it could have a saddle bag for the crate that can flip out of the way to access the side pouches on the crate. These could also have velcro to make them removable

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

When we were loading up this afternoon at the launch and Chexone remarked about all the stuff we carry on our kayaks- I couldn't imagine carry anymore- took me three trips to the car before putting the Outback on its cart-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                  Fanny Pack time
                  agreed
                  Ascend A10

Comment

Maybe something like this is what you're looking for?

http://www.precision-pak.com/fishing...%20With%20Flap

Mike (Chexone) has one, and it's pretty nice.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post

Yeah I like it. It holds all my stuff... including rod holders, fishfinder and battery when transporting. There are velcro pockets on 3 sides which is nice, but good luck trying to get to the back pocket when you're on the yak (I guess you could put the rod holders towards the back so that pocket is up front though)

I like the idea of saddle bags, but there isn't much clearance there... we ride pretty low.

Let's make some and see.

Last edited by chex; 02-19-2012, 06:38 PM. Reason: Photo
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I don't own a kayak yet, but read the forum and am saving to get one, but thought maybe this could be of some help and/or stem some ideas.

You could probably modify one of these "bucket jockeys" from HD (that are like $8) to fit the crate to provide pouches and storage? Just an idea...

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...ey-132438.html

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post

I actually have a precision pak just like it and it's awesome. It's loaded with all my fishing supplies and tackle. I run into an issue when I want to spread out and not keep turning behind me for stuff. Thanks for the link.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

The fact is turning around in a kayak to get most anything out of the tank well is some what of a chore- you have to sit side saddle to do it safely without danger of turtling your yak unless you have four foot long arms and are ambidextrous- that is why most of us carry a small essentials bag or small plastic box of those things we use the most up front in a mesh holder in the cockpit or in a place under our middle hatch. That is why I have gotten to the point of rigging up all my rods with the setup I plan to fish most of the day before I ever leave the launch. I normally carry four rods but i only fish with one or two if I am trolling. If my main rod isn't getting hits, I switch out to another rod I have already rigged. Keeping your head in the centerline of the yak keeps the yak balanced and upright- leaning out gets you wet- all over.
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I made some saddle bags .......... Tackle binders with Velcro sewn to the handles. That way I can Velcro them to the rails on the PA and get to any tackle qiuckly without turning around ........ and I can keep tackle for different types of fishing bagged and ready. Just have to grab the right bag and put it into the binder.

Comment

Working...
                              X