Rod Butt Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Butt Upgrade

I usually use a key ring velcro-ed just above the front grip on my rods for security when they are in the holder. This works well for the most part but occasionally when casting the line will foul on the ring and it makes me want to come up with a different solution. I saw something similar at Jamaica Bay a few years ago and today I decided to try it out. I'm not sure how this will work when the rod is in the holder, but we'll see.

Parts:

100lb mono
    XPS ProWrap (not needed) (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...t/94037/100827)
    Rubber Cap
    Drill
    SS washer that fits in the rubber cap and has a small opening to keep the mono in
    5 min epoxy
    Rod (BPS Musky 7ft MH)

Step 1 (optional)- follow the steps to install the XPS ProWrap. I choose to wrap the butt section only and my decision was based around almost loosing a rod in the ships last year togging because my hands were cold and slippery. This rod will be used for tog/heavier fish so I wanted the extra grip without the loss of sensitivity in the foregrip.

Step 2- Drill a hole in the bottom of the rod butt.

Step 3- Poke hole in middle of rubber cap and thread mono through

Step 4- Determine how large you want your loop to be. Then slide washer over the two ends, and make knot. Use something on the other side to make sure you don't pull the mono through. Try to leave the loop long enough so that you can push the knot into the butt of the rod.

Step 5- Test to make sure the knot will fit into the hole you drilled into the bottom of the rod butt and that you are comfortable with the length of the loop.

Step 6- Mix epoxy and apply to hole and knot

Step 7- Stuff knot into the rod hole and then carefully push the end cap on. You'll want to wet the end cap (spit works) and use some finesse to pull the loop out of the rubber cap as you push it on.

Step 8- Let it dry and you're ready to rock.

Last edited by Redfish12; 02-03-2012, 04:09 PM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Very cool! That should work very well. I'm guessing your rod holders are open-bottomed.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

curious...what rod is that?
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
        curious...what rod is that?
        BPS Musky Rod. It'll be on board for back up. The Meth stick is what reminded me about the leash attachment.

Other Mike- I keep them vertical in a three rack most of the time. However, when I troll they go in a rocket launcher style and I'm thinking I'll just use a coastlock on a piece of thinner bungee as the leash now.

Comment

is that an upgraded handle? i thought the bp muskie rods have cork grips
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Oh that's the XPS wrap... I'll put the link in.

Comment

ah...never seen that before..thx
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I'm doing the same thing using 3/8" nylon strapping like you use in a small dog collar on the rods I'm building this year.

Good job doing it on the existing rods .......... never thought of doing it on them .....

Comment

Working...
                X