Kayak Flag Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Flag Alternative

i'm not convinced on typical safety flags, but thought i'd do this to support MD. i typically have 2 rods, with one being a spare, so i thought i'd use the spare as a flag pole. tell you what, i bet this will get noticed before an orange flag...

small 12x18 boat flag, clip main line(i use a coastlock at end of main) to coastlock on flag, bungee bottom to guide foot, reel in, i'm awesome. pics show some different alternatives. i'll get some pics on the water soon...i hope.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

i like it. i may steal your rod/flag idea

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

I gave some thought to a Maryland flag. I didn't want to use one of my fishing rods, but it did cross my mind. This entire thought process occurred after I was hit by a boat. I think, I am going to stick with the YakAttack VisiPole II, with an optic green and orange flag. I like the feature of having the light on the same pole. However, too many flags or too large a flag and they tend to act as a sail.

I do agree though, the Maryland flag higher on a fishing rod will be seen. It will be higher up in the line of sight. Some may say, oh come on, anyone can see a YakAttack flag. However, there are those certain boaters that do not remain focused on the water in front of their boat. It can happen. Don't just view everything from your perspective. I could not imagine that someone would operate a boat at a high rate of speed and not be aware of the water directly in front of their vessel or aware of something as large as a 13' kayak, with an orange flag. I also recommend hand held air horns. I cannot stress enough, this type of safety.

The reason I like the integrated light on the same pole is that I like to fish at night during the summer. Speaking of putting your life at risk. I think, I am going to get a customized YakAttack pole with the 4 LED option. I am also going to put a bright LED bow light on the new PA.

PS: They do make simple flag clips, to clip a flag to things like a fishing rod, an antenna or a halyard.
      Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-30-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

I am a stubborn SOB who does not like tall vertical objects on my kayak because they interfere with casting and paddling close to a shoreline with overhanging branches. I do not use vertical rod holders on a crate for that reason. I use Scotty rod holders that hold the rods horizontally and inline with the hull except during trolling, when I pivot them out to the sides.

I also do not use a flag. I believe that I am accomplishing a similar visibility mode by using a paddle with bright yellow blades. Each time I stroke, the yellow blade moves up and down several feet. In my opinion, the moving patch of color provides more visual stimulus than a colored flag that is always in the same position.

If I get into a situation in which a boat is heading toward me, I can raise the paddle high in the air and wave it back and forth, thereby gaining more elevation than a typical flag staff.

I imagine that others will disagree with me, but that is my approach.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dogfish, Where can i get those flag clips you speak of?? I'm gonna use my yakattack visipole as my primary flag and light source, however, I Like a nice big orange flag like I saw on a few yaks last year. I think the ripstock nylon was purchased at Walmart if i'm not mistaken and secured to a tall/long piece of PVC. I'm gonna make one of them just for the hell of it. If I'm out on the bay or OC, I'm gonna use it.
          Tom Brown
          Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
          2012 Hobie PA 14'
          Ocean Kayak Tident 13
          2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

LOL. That is similar to what i do for a stern light when fishing at dark...I just attach a glow stick to the pole i am not using (I cant fish two rods in the dark)
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
              Dogfish, Where can i get those flag clips you speak of?? I'm gonna use my yakattack visipole as my primary flag and light source, however, I Like a nice big orange flag like I saw on a few yaks last year. I think the ripstock nylon was purchased at Walmart if i'm not mistaken and secured to a tall/long piece of PVC. I'm gonna make one of them just for the hell of it. If I'm out on the bay or OC, I'm gonna use it.
              West Marine, flag section.

Comment

Working...
              X