Bait Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait Tanks

I ordered a self-contained, all purpose KFS Ultimate bait tank for kayaks today- decided against going with the Hobie tank and got this one so I could take it with me on vacations and use it out of any rental yak and my Ocean Kayak Prowler...6 volt battery in a mounted Pelican case- 4 gallon working volume- 17X11X11" makes it nice and compact streamlined unit-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-28-2012, 07:41 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

The main reason I wanted this particuliar live well is when I live bait fish, the drag of pulling a bait bucket is really hard to overcome when you leave the launch and head out to fish- especially if you plan to slow troll live bait- I like the idea of a modular system that is completely self contained- you take it out when you don't want to fish live bait and slip it in when you do-and it fits all standard kayak tank wells- the price isn't cheap but it isn't as expensive as the Hobie live well, either-about $90 less expensive-

Comment

Could you post the link to it?

Comment

Sure
        http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...it-Tank/Detail

Comment

I think Redfish made 1 ........ the plans were on one of the webstes ...... good snag

Comment

Built that kit except i put the tank inside a milkcrate and mounted the battery to the crate. I painted it orange and yellow. I also added a folding light to the battery box with a seperate switch for on and off.

Here are a few pics of how i set it up:

Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I thru one together last year. I only used it several times last year due to the bait size situation at the bridge last year. It worked well though and the battery lasted thru 2 trips on one charge.

Writeup here.
              http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?t=1236

Comment

Looks sweet, but thats too steep for my shallow pockets! LOL I've thought about building one, but haven't had the time.

Comment

When you figure the materials, pump, battery, switches, wiring and the labor to build it, I think the price is fair- its about the price of a good fishing reel- but a bait tank isn't essential to any fishing boat- just nice to have, especially if you plan to fish live bait a lot-

Comment

Even though I don't live line that much, I plan on getting a Hobie live well for the new boat. If I don't use it that much in Maryland, I will when going to Florida. I agree, a live well is not essential to a fishing kayak, but it is really nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                      Looks sweet, but thats too steep for my shallow pockets! LOL I've thought about building one, but haven't had the time.
                      you and me too. very nice unit though. i dont mind dragging my minnow bucket or just put it behind my seat while moving around

Comment

Yeah a bait tank surely isn't a neccesity, but I'm sure it's great on those long days on the water. But I don't fish with live bait that often either, so me and my Frabil have been making it! LOL However, if I had a bait tank, I am sure I would fish with live bait more often!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                          Yeah a bait tank surely isn't a neccesity, but I'm sure it's great on those long days on the water. But I don't fish with live bait that often either, so me and my Frabil have been making it! LOL However, if I had a bait tank, I am sure I would fish with live bait more often!
                          ........ don't count on it ......... got a Hobie Livewell for my birthday and had to get a replacement because the battery compartment was broken ....... got it back in August and still haven't used it. Spot were too big last summer and I was still traveling alot ......... will use it this year though ........

Comment

Nice bait tank. I'm with MTYM. It's a bit pricey for me too. I'll stick with Frabil, cutbait and lures. If I get skunked too often and I don't get the big ones, then maybe it's bait tank time.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I’m in the process of building a live bait tank on the cheep, will post prices and pics in the coming weeks.
                              '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                              '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                              Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Working...
                              X