Conventional recommendations???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conventional recommendations???

Im looking to buy my first conventional rod but have little experience with them. I hear a lot about the Trevalas but what other conventional rods do you all recommend that are a little cheper? Before I pay the money for an expensive rod I would like to buy a cheaper rod but with good quality. Looking for a MH rod for future trips for Tog, bigger rockfish, and some bottom fishing. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Foursteps24; 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM. Reason: Mispelled word

Sounds like you want one for the yak. Lengths from 6' to 7' would work. Maybe you want a boat rod, or just a lightweight casting rod. If you want to start off cheap, which is what I did, you may want to visit fishing flea markets. A bunch of them are coming up, including the Kent Island fishing flea market tomorrow. I picked up an Okuma 6' 6" boat rod for $40 last year. Works fine. I use it for trolling and bottom fishing. I caught a citation tog off it last month.

What kind of reel do you plan to use?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

check out shimano compre muskie rods.

good rods for the money. you can get last years model for under $100
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I like and have a Tsunami Trophy Series Casting Jigging Rods the run from $70-$90 bucks
        '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
        '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
        Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Thanks guys. I will be at the flea market tomorrow looking.

Comment

i don't have a lot of experience comparing the different rod companoes, but st croix mojo bass series rods have earned good reputation as quality rod/blank for the money. i'd be interested in any info from someone that's owned both mojo bass and trevala because i understand they have a good reputation as well.

i have M-extra fast casting and MH-fast spinning, both 6'-8" i believe. i like them both. i kind of prefer the casting outfit for jigging but it's just personal preference at this time.

i think typical mojo bass cost is 100. they may go on sale for 10 off, maybe even 20 but i wouldn't bet/wait on the 20 off.

with these rods, i think m v mh probably has more relevance to the weight of lures you plan on casting than it does to size of fish you might reel in since both have a lot of strength in the lower section of the rod. the mh would be better suited to really slinging a jig/bkd for example. but with vert jigging, casting's not much of an issue. for jigging heavier lead than just a normal jighead, i would go with the heavier rod. for bigger than normal summer rock, again i would lean towards the mh.

a fast or x-fast action refers to how far down the rod bends easily, ie how fast the taper changes. the x fast is thin only near the end whereas the fast action has bend that extends down a little more.

the faster action rods are generally good for sensitivity and are favored for jigging. if you were casting plugs, you might go with a med action to have more bend for letting the fish get hooked vs lure ripped out.
            Last edited by Southerly; 01-27-2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Look into the bass pro shop line of musky blanks. You should find something to fit you price line and requirements.

MH 7' 1/2 to 1 1/2oz blanks should do the job well.

This would be a good starting point and the price is right

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...SELL_THUMBNAIL

Comment

Yeah, musky rods will do too. Bought mine at Dick's for $50. It's a Field and Stream, IM7 series, 6'6", 1/2 - 2 ounce lure, 15-30 lbs, MH.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

re the muskie rod! the im-6 blank is highly regarded and it looks like a long butt, which i like for fighting a fish. the price is right, and i plan to take a closer look next chance i get.

Comment

I have two W&McGill Flats Blue Sglass rods that I use for everything- have a Abu Revo on one and a Shimano Curado on the other...love them...$99 each...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

+1 on bass Pro Muskie rod, 7 mh. Wait for when they go on sale, you can get them for about $24. Awesome value.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X