No announcement yet.

Post a few pics of your KAYAK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, not for fishing or crabbing. If you put an electric motor on a canoe or kayak, in Maryland, it is supposed to be registered.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      No, not for fishing or crabbing. If you put an electric motor on a canoe or kayak, in Maryland, it is supposed to be registered.
      I had no idea. I'll pass that info on to a friend who has a canoe with an electric motor who is not registered. I assume it costs money to be registered?

Comment

A few dollars. I think it is $2 for a motor under 7.5 HP. However, they will charge you taxes on the value of the vessel if you do not have proof that you paid taxes when you purchased the vessel. He will also need a certificate of origin. It came with the vessel when he purchased it.

Comment

I am one of the old-fashioned hold-outs that uses only a paddle for propulsion (no foot pedals or electric motor). I also prefer keeping my fishing rods nearly horizontal to keep from tangling during casting.

The photos show my boat during a 7-hr August day near Fisherman's Island by the CBBT. Normally I do not carry either the bucket or the cooler. In all my kayak fishing, I have only used an anchor once (at Ocean City inlet where the tide was ripping). I use a small soft-sided 6-pack cooler bag with several lure trays inside. I carry pliers and a Boga-grip. By minimizing gear, I can get in and out of the water faster and have less chance of knocking something overboard while reaching and rearranging.
          Attached Files
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My Malibu:

I'm currently customizing this Drifter to sale at the MKF Swap Meet in March:

Comment

Here are a few pics of mine. Since these were taken, I've added a YakAttack flag/light instead of the PVC rig shown, turbo fins, and a couple of Harken blocks for my anchor trolley. For the anchor trolley, I swapped out a couple of the stern screw in cleats for deck loops I pulled off my old Outback hull. I think the CrateMate Jr (black box) is discontinued, but PrecisionPak makes a similar product which is actually nicer.

Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                my boat during a 7-hr August day near Fisherman's Island by the CBBT. Normally I do not carry either the bucket or the cooler. In all my kayak fishing, I have only used an anchor once (at Ocean City inlet where the tide was ripping). I use a small soft-sided 6-pack cooler bag with several lure trays inside. I carry pliers and a Boga-grip. By minimizing gear, I can get in and out of the water faster and have less chance of knocking something overboard while reaching and rearranging.
                I am 100% with you on being a minimalist. When fishing, I usually carry just two plano boxes with assorted gear. Anything else just gets in the way. I remember my first couple of trips on the ORIGINAL "SS Metro" I carried all the gear I could. I quickly realized that I used none of it.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                  Nice clean set up there!

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Where'd you get the lithium battery from? How much did it cost? How much does it weigh? Maybe I need to get one for my Minn Kota. Gettin' tired lugging a 50# lead acid around.
                    I ordered the cells from a supplier online www.alliancerenewableenergy.com. They are 3.2V, 60aH cells. $64.50 each. So it was around $320 for the cells shipped. The circuit board you see regulates the voltage to prevent damage from overcharge and over discharge. It also peforms voltage balancing after the batter has charged. This control board was $35 from BatterySpace. So around $375 for the battery when all is said & done (misc stuff from radio shack). It weighs 20lbs-21lbs...vs my 53lb lead battery. I plan on doing a separate write up with more details.

Comment

From my last trip with Shield to the ships. We hit HRBT after but it was dead and the water was stained... managed a few small bumps and one low 20s fish.

Back in the states! I won't be able to make tomorrow unfortunately!

Ultimate & Trident

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                        I ordered the cells from a supplier online www.alliancerenewableenergy.com. They are 3.2V, 60aH cells. $64.50 each. So it was around $320 for the cells shipped. The circuit board you see regulates the voltage to prevent damage from overcharge and over discharge. It also peforms voltage balancing after the batter has charged. This control board was $35 from BatterySpace. So around $375 for the battery when all is said & done (misc stuff from radio shack). It weighs 20lbs-21lbs...vs my 53lb lead battery. I plan on doing a separate write up with more details.
                        Metro, that would be a really good write up. It would benefit alot of EK users. Thanks. That is really a nice job on the battery. Better than half the weight, and by my estimate 240 ah. Great job. You might even want to send that write up to Kayak Fishing Magazine.

Comment

Thanks, I will definitely have the write up soon. It's still just 60ah...the cells are wired in series.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
                            My Malibu:

I'm currently customizing this Drifter to sale at the MKF Swap Meet in March:
                            Malibu makes a nice kayak. We have the Stealth 12 at West Marine. Some of the features are really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                              Thanks, I will definitely have the write up soon. It's still just 60ah...the cells are wired in series.
                              Got that confused with hooking them up in-line.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                                Malibu makes a nice kayak. We have the Stealth 12 at West Marine. Some of the features are really nice.
                                I have been very pleased with mine DOGFISH..
                                GB

Comment

Working...
                                X