This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continued

Do the same tie down wrap at the end of the butt wrap.

Last edited by mmanolis2001; 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Continued

The butt wrap is now complete. In this build I added a hook keeper to the base of the wrap as well.

Tape the hook keeper in the desired location.

Wrap the hook keeper the same way you wrap a guide.

Comment

Continued

The finished product.

Comment

Just scrolling through those photos reminds me of why I hate to do decorative wraps. One must have patience.

Comment

Yep they do require some patience something for which I have very little of. It’s not bad if you break up the work over several sessions. The wrap above probably took 6 hrs to complete split over 3 days. It’s more bearable that way. Your eyes will start playing tricks on you if you spend 6 straight hours wrapping thread. Just keep track or your progress on a note book so you can jump back in later and pick up where you left off.

Comment

I do diamonds, but not so much as to close the wrap. I just put enough on to finish off the rod. As of late I have been using a fish decal with trim wraps and a short diamond wrap. Of course, I have now discovered the topless mermaid decals and others. They tend to bring up alot of conversation among other anglers. Its fun to play around with the build, just so the rod fishes the way I envisioned.

Comment

wow. seriously, wow.
                sigpic

Comment

holy s***..... STICKY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                    wow. seriously, wow.
                    +1
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I will continue to add information to this thread over the next several months. I have several new builds lined up for the winter so I will document some more topics.

- Mixing and applying finish and color preserver.
                      - Creating custom cork grips
                      - Sealing cork
                      - More complex decorative wraps
                      - Basic weaving

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                        Just scrolling through those photos reminds me of why I hate to do decorative wraps. One must have patience.
                        Plus 1

The first few decorative wraps I tried to do on my Hatteras Heavers made me crazy. I wanted to have a perfectly-centered series of graduated diamond wraps-dead top-center....ended up slightly off center and I eventually cut them off and end wrapped three colors- two that I also used on wrapping the guides. Last rod I built was on a Fenwick blank for a six foot salt water inshore casting rod to fish for big Grey trout with 4 oz. stingray grubs at the CBBT...it was a plain work rod with minimumal decorative end wraps. That was about 1988 or so...it got to be too time consuming and took up my bench space that I needed for my reloading equipment.
                        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM.
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Fantastic. Nice to have all this information in one place, and the pictures are great. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Comment

Unbelievable... My hats off to you. Great work!

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                              Plus 1

The first few decorative wraps I tried to do on my Hatteras Heavers made me crazy. I wanted to have a perfectly-centered series of graduated diamond wraps-dead top-center....ended up slightly off center and I eventually cut them off and end wrapped three colors- two that I also used on wrapping the guides. Last rod I built was on a Fenwick blank for a six foot salt water inshore casting rod to fish for big Grey trout with 4 oz. stingray grubs at the CBBT...it was a plain work rod with minimumal decorative end wraps. That was about 1988 or so...it got to be too time consuming and took up my bench space that I needed for my reloading equipment.

I hear you on frustration with centering the patterns. My first few builds came out that way. This is where the butt alignment tool comes in handy. Makes marking the top and bottom axis's much easier and more precise.

Comment

Great instructions, Mike. I may even start doing this stuff. Hey, if I wanted to build a rod like the Trevala S, how do I find and buy the exact blank?
                                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                                X