Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you getting (Kayak wise) for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the info. bill. did we ever pick a channel to use and monitor?

Comment

My radio has a scan function, so I set it to scan 6, 9, 13, 16, 68, 69, and 71 when I'm out by myself. 6 and 13 are channels harbor masters and ships use that I listen to in case somebody complains about a little yellow kayak that's in the way of everything. When I've been out with folks down here, we usually monitor 68, but that channel can be busy up by Annapolis. 69 or 71 might be better up there. I can't remember what we used for the South River M&G.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        One of the companies makes one with a vibration function that gets water out of the speaker. My radio (Standard Horizon HX750S) is nearly inaudible if the speaker gets water in it, which is problematic.
        Some Cobra models have a "burp" feature that will force the water out of the speaker. I have the MR HH475 and it has a burp button. Haven't had to use it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
          I think my gift will be neoprene gloves. Better than the lump of coal I deserve!
          WSorry to say this but wet neoprene gloves may not be good for cold weather under 35-40F, especially windy day.

Paddle mitt and bare wet hands combo is better than wet neoprene gloves in my experience. I think it is good idea to ask fellow kayakers about the neoprene gloves. To me neoprene gloves weren't for the cold weather in January in MD and Nothern VA.

joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Agree. When neoprene gloves get wet they don't work well in the cold. I guess mittens with removable covers are best.

I think I'll be getting a new baitcaster.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I picked up a pair of neoprene gloves not too long ago and used them on my last outing. They are rubber on the outside, making them waterproof. They are fantastic.

http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/store/...category_ID=17

Joe, when you say "wet neoprene" does that mean as in how a wetsuit operates? Opposed to being waterproof?
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I assumed they would work like a wetsuit, meaning that they would have a rating for how much cold they could take based on the thickness of the neoprene. We'll see. I appreciate the effort....she wasn't supposed to get me anything since I got my present in Oct (waders)...oh and I'm not supposed to know. Of course, teenage daughters don't keep secrets well, LOL.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

The gloves in the link above "Ice Bay" keep your hands completely dry, unlike a wetsuit. They work really well.

Comment

Metroman,
                    The reason I put the comment was that to find the kind of gloves you mentioned on the link. Yes, the neoprene golves must be water proof. Which one did you buy?

Joe
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Metroman,
                      The reason I put the comment was that to find the kind of gloves you mentioned on the link. Yes, the neoprene golves must be 100% water proof. Which model did you buy, Pro Angler?

Joe

Comment

I got the Ice Bay. I didn't trust the finger slits on the other models.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                          I got the Ice Bay. I didn't trust the finger slits on the other models.
                          Metroman,
                          Thank you very much for the Info. I used ones with the finger slits, and I did not like it.

So the IceBay is rubberized. I couldn't tell if they were rubberized on the picture. I am ordering a pair.

Thank you.

Joe

Comment

Lean bar for pro angler.

FYI: Bass pro carries ice bay neoprene gloves at the fly shop.

Comment

My presents to myself when i get back in March:

2012 Revo
                              turbofins
                              sailing rudder
                              2 hobie horizontal rod holders
                              Hobie cart
                              anchor trolley
                              3m reflector tape
                              v2 evolve (2 batt's)
                              2 mh trevala S
                              1 H trevala S
                              1 ML Trevala S
                              1 Diawa Z series LH baitcaster
                              Hawg Trough
                              1 sony handycam HDR-XR100
                              sony sports pack SPK-HCE
                              1 DCR-SR47 with wide angle lens

That's it for now
                              Last edited by Pinch; 12-19-2011, 07:05 AM. Reason: Leth Mayer made me do it
                              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Wow, Pinch- nice list- I especially like the Zillion series Diawa's, but the price has put me off- Hard to justify the $ to my bride when I already have the Shimano Curado 200E7's and Abu Revo STXs--

For cold weather kayaking, I layer using the medium weight Under Armor poly long underwear base layer, fleece long sleeve shirt, sweat pants, breathable stocking feet waders, NRS Dry Top, Ear muffs, Cabela's River Drover hat, heavy wool socks, water shoes over the stocking foot wader feet and for my hands, I use Nike Runners Drifit gloves- they dry nearly instantly and are so thin you can pickup a dime- $18.00 at Dick's- wore them last time I was striper fishing on the Potomac with Bill and Kevin- it was very cold in the morning and my hands were comfortable- I changed lures without removing my gloves- only time I took them off was to answer my IPhone- you have to use a naked finger on the IPhone- tactile touch issue-

Believe it or not all this is still not very bulky- I can move pretty well-
                                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-19-2011, 07:30 AM.
                                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                                X