Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you getting (Kayak wise) for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowrance elite 5 dsi combo. i plan to keep running my conventional sonar also. so all total, this will be a lot electronics for a yak. basically a 5" color, and a 4" B/W lcd-type display.

i'll belieive i'll have option of using 5" display for chart only (and still have separate display for conventional sonar), making the chart easy to see. or if working pilings, turning the chart off in favor of the downscan next to conventional. or split screen cp/dsi if i can see comfortably.

if battery has low voltage, i can shut the color unit down and continue with my conventional sonar which is very low drain.

i see question re humminbird above, and not sure what to expect. structure scan is kind of cool for seeing in better detail what's down there. truth is, there's no much down there most of the time. usually sandy mud. but strucutre scan does differentiate a school of bait into individual fishes superior to regular sonar.

the drawback of seeing things in higher resolution is that fishes typically look like little dots and you will be less impressed with seeing a couple dots as compared to seeing nice big arches on a reg sonar. that's if you even notice a couple of tiny dots, especially if you're splitting a small display 3-ways into sonar/cp/ss. you may not believe your eyes that a couple little dots = good fishing opp.

there are positives to structure scan but i wanted to emphasize that some people would be disappointed in it as far as fish finding. you probly have better chance of identifying school of fish as being WP or spot vs baitfish using SS. me, i would enjoy a kayak trip using structure scan w/o even fishing. i hope it finds good application at the pilings but really not sure it will help catch more fish compared to decent conventional FF.

we'll see how this all fits on yak later this winter. i only have vague ideas of the units being side by side in unified mounting, a strengthened version of front/center arrangement i'm using now. there's a thread w/pics of that around here somewhere. i'll probly try to come up with a unifying sun visor over both units to prevent possibility of getting snagged in between the units.

Comment

http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com...ckle-the-book/

more fishing than yaking

Comment

I'm hoping to ge the new GoPro HD for Christmas. I've told every member of my family including my 6yr old grandson what PopPop wanted from Santa Claus.
        Tom Brown
        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
        2012 Hobie PA 14'
        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

i think im going to get myself a good VHF floating radio. i think santas bringing me a cordless filet knife

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            I am looking for a dry top to wear in the winter over my chest waders. I generally don't paddle far or in big water during the winter, but I would feel a bit better prepared by having some coldwater protection.

I have a large and tall body that does not fit into standard sized garments very well. Therefore, I am hesitant to order a top sight unseen over the internet. I have visited 4 shops in the Annapolis area that carry kayaks and accessories -- none of them have an XL dry top in stock that I can try on.

If any of you have an unused XL dry top that you are willing to part with, let me know. Or if you know of any reasonably local shops that have an XL dry top in stock, please let me know that too.
            I managed to play self-Santa today. I visited the Kent Island Kayak store (now expanded to include bicycle sales) this afternoon and found a dry top in my size. I brought it home and gave it to my wife to wrap up for me. She has a hard time -- my birthday falls the same week as Christmas so she faces double gift duty.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
              i think im going to get myself a good VHF floating radio.
              One of the companies makes one with a vibration function that gets water out of the speaker. My radio (Standard Horizon HX750S) is nearly inaudible if the speaker gets water in it, which is problematic.

Congrats on the dry top, John. What did you end up getting?
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                Ahh! I forgot that his book is out now! I will be getting that soon as well.
                Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                  Mine was here waiting for me when I got back!

I think I'm all set for kayak stuff, I may get a better cart at some point or figure out some padding for my bars. Other than that, I would really just like more time to fish!
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I'm looking at getting a dry top/dry pants combo for myself. Getting tired of sitting on the sidelines with a long wait until warmer water in May. Look out fish.

Comment

stringer clip ......... kevin kayak dvd 2

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                        I ran into Shawn (Kimbro) at Marty's tackle shop yesterday. I bought two copies from him in the parking lot and had him sign them. Shawn told me that several of the local tackle shops now have copies of the pre-print version that uses higher grade paper and a few color photos. The next print run will have different paper and all black and white photos. He will start taking online orders in Jan, and will probably get tables at some of the winter shows.

I have been too busy to start reading the book yet, but all the reviews I have seen are quite positive.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I asked for BPS gift cards so I can buy two new rods and reels for my kayak.
                          WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

I gotta stop reading these posts because now I have more things I want to get

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

I was looking at the Hobie Live Bait Tank system...humm- I don't have one of those-
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think my gift will be neoprene gloves. Better than the lump of coal I deserve!
                                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                                X