Fiddler Crabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiddler Crabs

Tall order here, but where can you buy some of those violin playing crustaceans in the MD or DE area?
    I have been togging lately and I would like to mix up the bait.

Also, has anybody ever been able to buy hermit crabs in MD. I keep eying my daughter's pet Gary, but I know my wife would kill me.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

You might want to check the regulations for MD. I’m pretty sure Fiddler crabs are illegal to use for bait in MD.

I’m not sure about hermit crabs though. They might be too cute to impale on a hook.

Comment

Fiddlers

Huh, didn't even cross my mind that they would be illegal. Wasn't gonna use them in MD, does that count in court?
      Jay

10' Green Slayer
      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

i dont think fiddlers are illegal in Md. They use them in OC all the time for tog. But this time of year you wont find any live fiddlers at bait shops. they are summer crabs. you might find them frozen though. in my experience, blue crab works just as well if not better than fiddlers, and they last a lot longer on your hook. other baits you can try for tog are clams, mussels and shrimp but if you ask me, blue crab is your best bet.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

crabs

I am a big fan of white leggers, but was hoping to find some local fiddlers on my way up.
          You always see Jet ski Brian with a bucket of them now a days, I guess he gets them in the Hampton region.
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Where have you been togging?
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I was almost certian i read fiddlers were illeagle to use as bait in MD. I must have been drinking too much

Good info to know for next season

Comment

if you really want to impale hermit crabs, just go to most any pet shop, or walk into one of those huge beach accessory stores at the beach (though i guess those may be closed by now).
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

last time i was in DE the tog pros were using hermits, tog candy they say. white leggers, blue crab, green crab, mole crabs and salted clams work good. give the bait shops in VA beach a call and see whats available. sorry Gary

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                    Where have you been togging?
                    Like the epoch blitzes on the surf during Thanksgiving week, hitting some pretty togs in Jersey right now.
                    Jay

10' Green Slayer
                    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I think Gulp makes Fiddlerrs in the buckets. Not sure though. I do know that you can use Hermit Crabs in Md and did well last June in OC and Indian river with them on the Tog off the jetty's. You can get Hermit Crabs in Pet Smart. Just don't tell the sales lady what you're using them for. OC has them in most of those big Beach sales shops along coastal hwy all year long. Was there a couple weeks ago and they're open.
                      Tom Brown
                      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                      2012 Hobie PA 14'
                      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Just a heads up, tog are closed through December in Maryland.
                        Blue crab works well, most asian markets will have them. Don't know about fiddlers, though I've heard you can catch your own if you put the time in.

Comment

Working...
                        X