No announcement yet.

Kayak Bumper/Side Protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot guys now had some time to test their bumper guard ideas. So, what is the best solution? Diamond plate, Easykeel, Easyshield, Herculiner, Acme rubber, tubing/tape or whatever?

My duct-tape-garden-hose solution is getting beat up, so I now need a more tougher bumper guard.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I've got a bunch of that stuff that Yakattack was testing out that I could sell ya .......... definitely enough to do your yak ........ cheap ......... I got enough to do several yaks

Comment

Rock chaser, if you want a few guys to pitch in for a 100' roll count me in if your doing 4" black, I want to do the bottom front and rear, and maybe around the mirage drive area. And do some patches along the side, make my kayak look more tactical :-D
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Harbor freight sells the adhesive rubber strips......similar to the ones yak attack was testing out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/self-ad...ead-98856.html

I had the yak attack version on my old revo last year and it worked out pretty well. Definitely saved me once at kipto when I got slammed into a sharp steel rod. In conjunction to the self adhesive on the strips, I would also use some 3m adhesive spray cause the strips tend to undo on the contoured sides, they never came loose after I applied the spray.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Super-...0#.UYBVy6JJOAg
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I couldn't find the Yakattack product on their site to take a look at it. Not sure how much it costs. How much are you selling yours for, Rick?

HF sells their rubber safety steps for about $20 for 10 ft. That's about $2 per foot.

Anyone know the cost of Keeleasy?

Comment

15 months later, I replace the front pad with new Gorilla Duct tape. The sides looks good still. The redneck bumper worked very well.
              Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I got an email response from Acme Rubber. The wing bumper that seems to suit yaks is $7.75 per ft. Sold in 10-foot lengths. Price seems high.....I think I'm leaning toward the redneck approach - duct tape.

Comment

Has anyone tried Dupont flashing tape. It is more mills than gorilla or duct tape, and is made from a black rubber compound. It's also very sticky, more than tyvec tape. A few layers of the flashing tape could be a possible solution??
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I never tried Dupont duct tape, and I don't really think thickness is necessarily better. The type of material used is also important. I use 3M duct tape:

"3M™ Duct Tape 6969 is an industrial strength duct tape composed of an abrasion
                    resistant, polyethylene film over a dense cloth scrim water proof backing with an
                    aggressive rubber adhesive used for demanding duct tape applications."

Thickness is 10.7 mil. It adheres pretty well in cold temp, and it doesn't get sticky in warmer temps.

I don't know the thickness and material used in Dupont or Gorilla. I do know 3M tape costs almost twice that of Gorilla.

Comment

Working...
                    X