Kayak Bumper/Side Protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
    So my newest idea is the addition of Armor. I found my "bumping" to occur mostly at the front and back corners of my kayak. So I'm thinking if I add a thin stainless sheet at the corner it will protect the plastic pretty well.
    So, You're building a kayak tank...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
      How do you put the stainless sheet to a kayak?

joe
      Drill it on with small screws. I would only put it at the top 3-4 inches of kayak where it bumps and sits above the water line.

And yes kayak tank, might have to add some stun bombs that make the fish float to the top!!

Comment

Joe,

Found this tape, 3M 6969. It was almost double the price of Gorilla Duct tape, but I bought it anyway.

Taped up the yak Friday afternoon and loaded it on the car for the next day trip. Overnight temps was at freezing. Next morning, the tape was sticking well. No separation.

Took the yak to Kipto for tog fishing Saturday. After fishing several hours in rough waters, tape still held well. No separation. It also protected the yak from the wrecks fairly well. Will surely use this tape again.

3M 6969 Duct Tape
        * Industrial-grade, silver duct tape with high tensile strength
        * Ideal for bundling, sealing, and holding applications
        * Waterproof backing resists wear, abrasion, moisture, and weathering.
        * Aggressive rubber adhesive for quick attachment and tight grip
        * Measures 9.0 milli-inches thick; weighs 1.8 pounds
        The 3M 48-milllimeter-by-54-meter silver duct tape is ideal for bundling, sealing, and holding applications. The strong waterproof backing provides long-term resistance to wear, abrasion, moisture, and weathering. This industrial-grade duct tape is 10.7 millimeters thick and features a high-tensile strength of 30 pounds. It measures 48-millimeters-by-54-meters (WxL) and weighs 1.8 pounds.
        Last edited by tufnik; 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

tufnik

I used some rental kayaks with 3-4 inch cracks on the bottom of the hull in Caribbean. The cracks were duct taped and duct tape held up pretty well. Duct tape on my Adventures is still good after two years.
          I will get the 3M 6969 Duct Tape and put ¾ inch tubing as rub rail on my other kayak. The rub rail really protected the Revo

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

http://www.keeleazy.com/home.html

Someone sent me the link of "KeelEasy.com" to my Youtube channel. The company sells protective strips for kayaks. I glanced the site and the company may send sample if requested. Bill was looking for something like this before. What do you think? I am planning to order some samples.

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
              Someone sent me the link of "KeelEasy.com" to my Youtube channel. The company sells protective strips for kayaks. I glanced the site and the company may send sample if requested. Bill was looking for something like this before. What do you think? I am planning to order some samples.

Joe
              Nice find Joe. I just ordered some samples. Curious to see how well it will stick and hold up.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

That's pretty cool, Joe. It would be kind of expensive to do an entire yak, though, but I might pick some up when it's warm again to apply to the keels of my yaks.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Picked up a 3" by 4' piece of stainless diamond plated steal today for $4.50. I think it is going to work perfect. It is lightweight, cost efficient and should be a one time fix. There are going to be areas that get scratches but I think this will protect the major corner of my kayak were most of my bumping occurs.

Also, it can be flexed to fit accordingly to the contours of the kayak. I'll post pics when I finish the project in the next few days.

Comment

Where did you find the diamond plate? I've been looking for some inexpensive sheets about 12"x 8' and 12"x 3'. yes two pieces or a 4' x 8' sheet that I can cut to size
                    Tom Brown
                    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                    2012 Hobie PA 14'
                    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

At My local Ace Hardware. They didn't have anything that large. What I got was actually a bent bracket, so I flattened it out and shaped it to the kayak. Mounted the front armor tonight, will post some pics tomorrow. LOOKS SWEET!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                        At My local Ace Hardware. They didn't have anything that large. What I got was actually a bent bracket, so I flattened it out and shaped it to the kayak. Mounted the front armor tonight, will post some pics tomorrow. LOOKS SWEET!!!!
                        Can't wait to see the first Armored kayak.

joe

Comment

Here are the pics of the front corners. Haven't finished the back...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bad ass...
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

All you need now are some flame throwers lol. Looks good!
                              Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice work! Reminds me of The Road Warrior.

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                                Where did you find the diamond plate? I've been looking for some inexpensive sheets about 12"x 8' and 12"x 3'. yes two pieces or a 4' x 8' sheet that I can cut to size
                                Medicyaker- You can get the diamond plate sheets (and sometimes cut-offs or scraps) at E-J Enterprises (www.e-jenterprises.com) off Dorsey Road by BWI. They are very friendly and helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X