Interesting paper on tautog movements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting paper on tautog movements

All the tog reports reminded me that a guy that got his master's degree while I was there studied the movement patterns of tautog. It's a pretty cool study, and he did a really good job with it. It might be worth playing around with the timing of your trip to see if you can improve your catch rate. Here's a link to his paper:

http://www.mediafire.com/?39uaxv99qflwvwn

It might be more technical than you're interested in, but the discussion is in plain English. The paper generally reaffirmed what experience tog fishermen already knew. Briefly, peak activity occurred in November-December and in April-June. Togs are primarily active during the day, particularly in the morning and evening. The morning and evening activity is most pronounced in the spring and least pronounced in the fall. Activity was greatest during the morning slack tide or evening slack tide, but not both. Periods of activity and inactivity alternate approximately every six hours (so if your not having any luck, try 6hrs later or multiple thereof). Togs were generally detected daily except at the coldest temperatures (less than 50*), but they remained in the Bay during the winter. Lastly, a rapid change in surface water temps (~5*) shut down activity.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Interesting report. During winter, I understand togs go to deeper water. Looks like they do, but they appear to still stay in the bay area with the right salinity.

I've heard togs can be caught during winter. I would think around structure in deeper water. I suppose their activity during winter is good in view of people catching them. On the other hand, the report says activity is minimal (or shuts down?) at water temps below 50 deg.

I really hadn't noticed higher activity, and I associate that with feeding, during slack tide. If activity is higher, then it's good because it would be easier to maintain yak position along rocks and pilings.

Thanks for referencing.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a book about tog-fishing in Long Island. The author concurs with the article.

Tufnik,
      How about January to fishing?

joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

January?!?! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................ Hope there's a windless sunny calm-water day at 50+ deg air temp.

I wonder if Rob has ever done that.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          January?!?! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................ Hope there's a windless sunny calm-water day at 50+ deg air temp.
          As long as the water isn't blocked by ice, you can fish all year for something- just got to pick your day- wind is the enemy-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The authors figured the togs didn't leave their place in the reef when the temps were less than 50*, but I wonder if they would bite if you dropped it right on their heads in the reef? It would probably mean losing a lot of rigs. Chumming first would probably help.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill- I have fished for togs at the CBBT in February when the water temps are the lowest of the year- caught big togs- and also lost a lot of rigs in the wreck- they would bite but had to put it right in their face- If you found a hole in the wreck and dropped the rig through it, you would get a bite- if not you didn't get any hits- you constantly were moving your rod to find a spot- you hung up a lot but when you hooked up you horsed the fish out of the wreck fast or were hopelessly hung up- I kept my drag locked in maximum and fished heavy lines.

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                Lastly, a rapid change in surface water temps (~5*) shut down activity.
                Interesting too... I wonder if we're about to get that with the cold front coming in tonight...
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                  Interesting too... I wonder if we're about to get that with the cold front coming in tonight...
                  absolutely-

Comment

Down they go...

Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                      Down they go...

You can see the dramatic drop in surface water temp in the billions of gallons of water in the Bay- got to have an effect- hope it has stabilized by Sunday- although I doubt if it has much effect in the deeper waters where the temps are more stable.

Comment

The cooler temps should be good for the stripers i guess.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X