• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Revo Rigged for My Fishing Needs

I finally fisnished rigging my Revo:

Thansk,
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice work as always Joe
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I want one....

I'd be happy with that setup. I want one!

Comment

Nice vid, as always, Joe. I really like the PVC rig for your fish finder. I might redo mine because it's a little too tall and sometimes gets in the way of casting.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good job. You gave me some ideas.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks Joe, I got some nice ideas from the Video as well and I don't have a Hobie... Wish I did but I got soem Ideas none the less that would work well in my BassPro Ascend. Not a bad Job on the Video Production either.
            Thanks,
            Tom
            Tom Brown
            Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
            2012 Hobie PA 14'
            Ocean Kayak Tident 13
            2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Nice, thanks for sharing. Those center hatch buckets are perfect.

I noticed you're passing the fishfinder wires out of the forward hatch. Do you still get a tight enough seal in case you flip?
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                I noticed you're passing the fishfinder wires out of the forward hatch. Do you still get a tight enough seal in case you flip?
                Yes. I think the seal is tight enough to take time and take some videos before the reentry. I think less than 1 gallon of water will sneak in through the bow hatch (with the additional gaps created by the two wires) for 3 minutes. And less than1 gallon of water will enter through rudder holes for 3 minutes. This will be ok for re-entry to Revolution.

I am planning to test how much water enters to Revo tomorrow in Rudee Inlet. All I have to do is turtle the kayak for 3 minutes. If more than 1 quart of water enters than I will test again without the wires hanging out. I will put additional 10 lb weight on the kayak to simulate the sinkers and tackles.
                If I remember I will test once with center hatch open

Here is what I found about the water in the hull:

when the kayak is upright

Ruder cable holes: The most of water sneaks in through the rudder cable holes – this is especially true when the wave is high

Small kayaks, 12’ or under without the rudder:
                • The most water sneaks in through the center hatch because of the wash over and the center hatch is lowest among three hatches
                • In the rough water, the rate of water entering the hull of a small kayak increases exponentially because the buoyancy of the small kayak decreases faster than a larger kayak. I found it true because I got 5+ gallons of water on my Caster 12.5 (no rudder)in 3’ wave in 5-6 hours. With this much water inside the kayak (Caster 12.5), reentry is impossible. But reentry to Adventure will be possible with the same amount of water inside.

When the kayak is turtled

Most of water sneaks through the rudder cable hole, followed by Bow hatch, Stern hatch. Lastly Center hatch.

The center hatch is lowest when the kayak is upright but the Highest when the kayak is turtled. When I got turtled the center hatch of my Adventure is almost above the water surface in the calm water. I had only 2 quarts of water inside the hull when the Adventure was turtled more than 2 minutes with the center hatch wide open.

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Wow, nice scientific response

FYI, here's a tip to reduce the amount of water coming in through the rudder cable holes: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...=brake#p157819
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

"The Ugly Duckling" is rigged pretty much the same way as your Revo- I used a Ram electronics mount on the front hatch but nearly identical placement and it looks like I have the exact same transducer and fish finder- my battery is in a dry-bag, but tied it to the sail mount, too- I used the wet-well duct seal, too- only after putting some water in the well, I sealed it with duct seal over the top of the transducer so i don't have to add water every time I go fishing. The front hatch leaks a little water in rough water- but nothing to worry about- a good sponge takes care of any leakage when I get home-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice work as always!
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                      X