new kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new kayak

i just sold one of my old crapy kayaks. i am looking to get a new better kayak. i will be fishing sandy point and the upper potomac. i was wondering if you guys had any favorite kayaks. So far i liked the wilderness systems tarpon 140 and the ocean kayak trident 11. Any thoughts? thanks.

I recently sold my Redfish 12' and got a Trident 13 from OK. So far I am liking the new kayak a lot more! The redfish was very stable, but it wasn't as quick as the T13. Any reason you're looking at the Trident 11 over the 13? The Tarpon is a good boat too, my dad has the 120 version.

What was the boat you sold?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

i had a tarpon 120 before i got the hobie revo. it was a good stable boat but a lot of ppl are fans of the trident though. if your fishing the bay take a look at the tri 13. it might be a better fit for ya if you plan on fishing choppy waters.
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

thanks for the advice. i was thinking the 11 over the 13 just for maneuverability. i had a a crow wing 1080. and i hated it it was not stable and not fast. how do you like your hobie revolution? i like the idea of having your hands free to fish.

Comment

I just got the Hobie Outback this season as an upgrade from a smaller sit in kayak and it's a world of difference. I got mine used and it has the outrigger accessory which makes me feel as stable as can be. The choppy conditions and big boats haven't bothered me a bit. The biggest advantage (besides the obvious hands free aspect) is that I feel more comfortable going further because I don't get tired as quickly with the mirage drive. I'm not limited to the general area I find to put the kayak in the water. If you are patient you should be able to find a good deal on one.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

i owned a redfish and tarpon, sold them for the hobie revo. for fishing nothing beats hands free. if you go convtional get at least a 12' kayak they will take the chop in the bay a lot better and more room for all your fishing junk

Comment

i love the revo. nothing beats it for fishing imo.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

the Hobie Revolution sounds great. its only the price. i could by a tarpon 140 and a motor for less money. Is the extra length over the outback worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by tarpon140 View Post
                  the Hobie Revolution sounds great. its only the price. i could by a tarpon 140 and a motor for less money. Is the extra length over the outback worth it?

i cant answer that since i went straight to a revo. but i will add to the above that i am very pleased with the revo. backyard boats in annapolis had demo days if youre interested in trying before you buy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tarpon140 View Post
                    The revo is faster than the outback but the outback is a more stable boat. I went with the revo cause I prefer speed. I guess it depends on your fishing style and preference.
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

thanks for all the great info. i tested the revo tarpon 140 and the ocean kayak trident 13. i went with the trident 13. i love the rod pod and shape of the hull. thanks again for all of the great info and happy fishing

Comment

congrats on the purchase....I have one myself. great boat.. check out some of the set up pics that I've put on the forum.

Comment

Great to hear about your new purchase! I have one as well and I am in the process of rigging it now. What color did you get?
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

nice kayak CB kayak 02, the fish finder looks very clean and neat. How did you rig it up?? Redfish12 I got the sand color. I'm going to go out on the kayak a couple more times before i decide how to rig it.

Comment

fish finder install

I kinda followed some techniques i saw on youtube for the most part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlWUwLztBL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S70j7w75MA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Z9amKeUH8

Comment

Working...
                              X