Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The dream did come true - Kipto Tog (Nov 11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dream did come true - Kipto Tog (Nov 11)

“The dream came true”

Typo on the title - I ment Nov 19 not 11.

I was ready again. The truck was loaded and I went straight to Kiptopeke State Park, VA.
    I launched around 9:25am. It was a perfect day. It was warm (40-55F). The wind was gently blowing. And the current almost stopped during the low tide
    And I was the only one at the Concrete Ships.
    I checked two holes for the tog bites for 5 minutes each. I felt a tog bite at the third hole. There, I was limited out within 20 minutes. I landed 4 tog, and they were all keepers at 15-17 inch.
    I usually don’t do Catch and Release. But I did one to take a good video of tog-fishing.
    After the fifth tog, I came back to the shore and took more video of how I prepare a blue crab for bait.

I made the video for kayak-anglers who wanted to fish for tog but never did. The video is little long because I put some tog-fishing tips and scenes (One was uncut) that can, hopefully, accurately present how the tog fishing is done at the Concrete Ships.

I used blue crab for bait because blue crab are always available for me. The water temp was 55F. It went down by 2F for 10 days. I think Tog will be there next weekend (Nov 26)

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Awesome video, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I almost could feel the bite! One day I will catch one these crazy fish, but probably wont get another chance this year. Glad you had a great time on the water.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good work, Joe. I'll use your technique next time. Togs were biting at CBBT on Saturday, but I didn't have any luck because the togs didn't like clams or refroze blue crab. Next time, I'll use live crabs. I did catch two stripers at 21 and 22".

Did you get my message? I rested and didn't fish Sat night. I went to HRBT Sunday morning. A lot of boats were out, but I didn't see anyone catch anything. Total skunk.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Congratulations on the trip! I wish I could have joined you!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Way to go!

Man I wish I could go down 1 more time

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            Congratulations on the trip! I wish I could have joined you!
            The hole was the one You found, and I caught an 18 incher in April this year. I didn't waste too much time at the first two holes. The combination of Low tide, almost zero current and 55F water temp was the key I think.

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Good work, Joe. I'll use your technique next time. Togs were biting at CBBT on Saturday, but I didn't have any luck because the togs didn't like clams or refroze blue crab. Next time, I'll use live crabs. I did catch two stripers at 21 and 22".

Did you get my message? I rested and didn't fish Sat night. I went to HRBT Sunday morning. A lot of boats were out, but I didn't see anyone catch anything. Total skunk.
              I thought I saw you paddling to the First Island in the morning I did'nt have your phone number I couldn't reach you. I went to Rudee. I took too much time (i.e. eating good lunch and taking more videos) before I arrived at the ramp at 1:00PM. There were gold rush of Specks at Rudee at/around 12:00pm - 01:00PM. They said I was late by 1 hour. I witnessed the many specks at 21-25" caught by boaters casting 4 inch grey swimbaits in the drop off (6-15') before I got there. The specks were big. I saw 7 big specks caught by a guy and 13 big specks caught by two guys on a different boat. I called my wife and she said I got tons of calls from my work. I couldn't hear my phone ringing because the phone is too well protected. I fished two hours in Rudee, and caught a 22 inch striper and 2 small specks at 10, 17 inch. I have a video clip of a guy holding 7 big specks. I will be posting the video for the record so that next year I can prepare. I learned that the best time for specks in Rudee is between one hour before/after the high tide.

I worked butt off Saturday evening and Sunday. I recognized your message yesterday.

I am working this weekends. So I am planning to try Rudee or Kipto following weekend. I will bringing crab just in case and because I can always eat them if I don't use them. If I can buy eel, I will buy eel for striper. I don't intend to fish Kipto after Dec 15 when MD Striper season closes because the place will be packed.

joe

Comment

Regarding the distance between the hook and the sinker

Regarding the distance between the hook and the sinker

When I used a tandem rig (one hook was placed 8.5” and the other was placed 16” above the sinker), tog hit the lower ones only. Also Rob Choi mentioned that Sheepshead prefer the bait that is placed higher than the tog bait from the sinker.

I‘ve been experimenting the distance between the hook and the sinker. On the same rig, I set the distances, 6 inches and 8.5 inches from the hook to the two end loops. I could test the distance by simply switching the sinker location.

At the ship, I placed the hook 6 inch above the sinker. I’ll be continuously place the hook 6 inch above the sinker.

Does anyone have preference on the rig?

Joe

Comment

Great job joe

Thanks for sharing all your tips in that video. Did you have any sea bass bait stealers mixed in or were the tog that thick? The chumming with the leftover bits and pieces is a great idea. Get those togs worked up and fighting over you chunk of crab.

Looks like you had perfect conditions and took full advantage of them.

Comment

Awesome report and video. I love togging!

I know the chumming thing works. Out on the party boats the guys just snip the crab legs over the side. Caught fish, especially greedy sea bass, often come up full of crab pieces. This is out in water 90ish feet deep, so I imagine it works even better inshore.

Comment

Congratulations on the fine tog catch. Thanks for taking the time to prepare such an informative video.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the video Joe.
                        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Awesome Joe. Congrats and thanks for the video, very informative!!!

Comment

Freaking awesome! Well done!
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice!! I love your vids.
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X