No announcement yet.

Recording your fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is already posted on the forum- probably under archives- and recently, look at the picture of Veteran's Day fishing at SJC- Kevin took a picture of me with my 23 inch rock and you can see the GoPro setup in it.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

re HD v SD or other formats - i agree it's not worth getting too worked up about.

there's a lot going on in there; in low light, less pixels are able to successfully expose, but software apparently compensates by filling in with a grainey appearance. despite that, i don't mind watching some night-time, ambient-lighting footage from OC on my big screen TV. i'm guessing it's because i'm interested in the subject matter more than the technical quality.

i went with HD in hopes of the camera not becoming technically outdated before i could wear it out. but i think we may all be wishing for 3D gear before too long anyway.

but not to worry. as you know - even old B/W family photos are not really out of fashion. so, in light of that realization, i think usability is more important than technical specifications.

Comment

I just picked up a GoPro Hero 2. The remote for it is supposed to come out in February. I plan on doing some recording next year. I plan to use the GoPro over the shoulder. I have a waterproof Sony camera for stills. I am more of a fisherman than a photographer. I suppose, I will do some photography. That could be fun.

Comment

The problem of fishing and photographing at the same time, is like a woman putting on her makeup driving to work in rush hour traffic- or having to reel in a rod while fighting a fish on another- unless the over the shoulder camera is running before the fish its your bait and already recording, you have to reach up and turn the power on and then hit the record controls...so far, I have elected to catch the fish first leaving just a shot with me holding it-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            The problem of fishing and photographing at the same time, is like a woman putting on her makeup driving to work in rush hour traffic- or having to reel in a rod while fighting a fish on another- unless the over the shoulder camera is running before the fish its your bait and already recording, you have to reach up and turn the power on and then hit the record controls...so far, I have elected to catch the fish first leaving just a shot with me holding it-
            THat's why the Vio Pov is so good .......... you touch a button on the wrist remote to preserve what happened from now back several minutes and continue recoeding ........... you don't miss any of the action and you don't have to search through hours of boredom to find the 2 minutes of action ........ and you can see how your shots are framed on the LCD on the small dvr that you can have right next to you so you are not recording sky or cutting off your head or fish when that once in a lifetime occurance or fish happens ........ it's more expensive but so is the cost of gas, food, lodging, lures, bait, licences, etc etc etc all for that 1 shot of you and that fish ...........

Which is cheaper ............ the money and time you spent for that one moment to record .......... or the money you will spend to get another opportunity because the camera wasn't set properly or you missed the eagle that picked up your fish and tried to fly away with it because you couldn't turn your camera on fast enough .........
            Last edited by Memory Maker; 12-06-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

ShadyFisher

What are the main purposes of the video?
              What will be the main object on the video, fish, rod top, scenery, your buddies fishing with you, or you? Or will the main object change time to time?

In my case, I have one purpose - making a video fishing log and store it on Youtube for availability and no maintenance. This throws out many fancy things, such as, high resolution and long video.

If your object changes time to time during a fishing trip, you need a hand-held camera. Or you carry two cameras, one mounted and one hand-held.

If you carry only one hand-held camera, then the camera must be a full featured camera with view screen. This way, you can center your objects, such as, a big fish, smiling face of your buddy, and your buddy holding a fish when the Sun sets over his shoulder.

I bought an Olympus Stylus 6020 three months ago. It used to be $299, but is discontinued and I paid $169. I checked jus now. The price is as low as $149 (new)

It is water resistant up to 15’ and pretty rugged. My son crash-landed (parachuting) and broke the mounting kit but not the camera. I mounted it on a kid Bike helmet. And I banged into pilings and docks, dropped on the Asphalt. The helmet has a crack but the camera is OK. The picture quality isn’t as good as other $160 cameras. But it is OK for computer monitor.

The battery life is descent. The aftermarket battery is better than the OEM as it happened to other cameras.

Switching Still to Video mode is fast
              But it does not Support 1080p
              It Supports 720P (1280 x 720)
              But I use VGA (640 x 480) – three reasons

1. VGA mode covers more area than 1080p or 720p. 1080P and 720p cuts off top and bottom of the scene

2. The battery lasts longer in VGA mode not in 720P and 1080P

3. The VGA mode is comparable (same width and height) with regular still pictures when you combined the video and still pictures

The most important thing is that you have to hook a lot of fish to make interesting video log because you will loose many fish while preparing the camera.

Also this may be more important. Prepare the script for the trip before the fishing. This way you stick with your fishing plan. And you will have more coherent and useful video clips to be combined.

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                ShadyFisher

What are the main purposes of the video?
                What will be the main object on the video, fish, rod top, scenery, your buddies fishing with you, or you? Or will the main object change time to time?

In my case, I have one purpose - making a video fishing log and store it on Youtube for availability and no maintenance. This throws out many fancy things, such as, high resolution and long video.

If your object changes time to time during a fishing trip, you need a hand-held camera. Or you carry two cameras, one mounted and one hand-held.

If you carry only one hand-held camera, then the camera must be a full featured camera with view screen. This way, you can center your objects, such as, a big fish, smiling face of your buddy, and your buddy holding a fish when the Sun sets over his shoulder.

I bought an Olympus Stylus 6020 three months ago. It used to be $299, but is discontinued and I paid $169. I checked jus now. The price is as low as $149 (new)

It is water resistant up to 15’ and pretty rugged. My son crash-landed (parachuting) and broke the mounting kit but not the camera. I mounted it on a kid Bike helmet. And I banged into pilings and docks, dropped on the Asphalt. The helmet has a crack but the camera is OK. The picture quality isn’t as good as other $160 cameras. But it is OK for computer monitor.

The battery life is descent. The aftermarket battery is better than the OEM as it happened to other cameras.

Switching Still to Video mode is fast
                But it does not Support 1080p
                It Supports 720P (1280 x 720)
                But I use VGA (640 x 480) – three reasons

1. VGA mode covers more area than 1080p or 720p. 1080P and 720p cuts off top and bottom of the scene

2. The battery lasts longer in VGA mode not in 720P and 1080P

3. The VGA mode is comparable (same width and height) with regular still pictures when you combined the video and still pictures

The most important thing is that you have to hook a lot of fish to make interesting video log because you will loose many fish while preparing the camera.

Also this may be more important. Prepare the script for the trip before the fishing. This way you stick with your fishing plan. And you will have more coherent and useful video clips to be combined.

Joe
                Yeah, you're right- After setting up my GoPro Hero on a Panfish over the shoulder mount and videoing several fishing trips I have hours of boring video with a few minutes of catching- If GoPro ever comes out with remote controls to activate the camera that would be especially helpful-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Yeah, you're right- After setting up my GoPro Hero on a Panfish over the shoulder mount and videoing several fishing trips I have hours of boring video with a few minutes of catching- If GoPro ever comes out with remote controls to activate the camera that would be especially helpful-
                  GoPro is coming out with a remote in February 2012. At least that is the advertised date.

Comment

Working...
                  X